Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to a fairly small nearby show Saturday and my show ended near the beginning of the third row. After I spotted this one I got tunnel vision and knew I had to have it. Missing rod and sight hood but you can't have everything.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics. Sling is in poor condition but what is up with this repair, shortening, whatever it is?

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
The repair looks armoury done, but I guess it could be duffle cut if a good wood worker got a hold of it after. I might be hesitant about shooting it. Would hate to see it fail and break in half on you!!! Anyways, really nice w/great bluing!!!!! Now you have to find the sight hood & they ain't cheap!!!!!! Congrats & BW, BB

Also, I wouldn't try and take that handguard off. It's already cracked(which is the norm for these) and could get a lot worse if the retaining clip is really tight or has any rust!!

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the kinds words gentlemen.

The seller knew what he had. He worked me hard.

There were several fine scratches that looked like cracks but close exam with several magnifing glasses confirmed there were no cracks in the stock nor the handguard. The handguard really does look like one but 99% sure it is only a fine scratch. Regardless, I decided this one was a non-shooter even with a minty bore. Just too expensive to risk an old walnut stock for a little fun.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Mike, if you don't mind, how much?

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Nice piece.

I have a vet bringback with original sling.

Looks like yours broke and somebody simply trimmed the ends and glued it
I did somethig similar to a 1873 Springfield sling a well meaning friend broke.

That old leather is fast becoming unserviceable in terms of actual use.

Some of this ageing stuff has to be handled with great care.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts