Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody just literally dropped this into my lap. Tried to look it up and really nothing about it. My first inclination is to give it back. What is it, should I clean it and how? Dont want to ruin it. I guess 9108 is serial number. Others are crowns (recognize from my enfields) not sure what 12 is. Any help or pointed on a direction would help.
Wood Gas Machine Metal Room
Bumper Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Rim
Wood Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Machine
Rectangle Automotive exterior Wood Bumper Musical instrument
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Musical instrument Wood Material property Gas Publication
Textile Wood Automotive tire Publication Rim
Wood Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Can find no British reference to a "maker" of that name, but it carries the Birmingham proof used from 1813 up to 1904.
Likely a 'B'ham trade' gun with the retailers name on the rib.

·
Registered
864 Posts
There's at least 4 'Hemenway' marked SxS shotguns from different mfg'rs,,all from about the same era. That being the 1880's to the early 1900's/

One is a Belgian mfg made by Simonis, Janssen & Dumoulin in Liege
These are marked 'Prize Quality Steel' and will have Belgian proof marks..

Another marked 'G. Hemenway' was made in England by J P Clabrough & Bro
Yet another marked simply 'Hemenway' (no 'G') was made in England also by Isaac Hollis &sons.
These two generally have British proofs, but some (especially the Hollis mfg guns) sometimes use Belgian mfg bbls that show Belgian proofs as well.

There is one more Hemenway,,, American gunsmith Levi Heminway.
He marked his guns with his full name and there would be no foreign proof marks on them.

I suspect your SxS is a product of J.P Clabough & Bros.
They had offices in Birmingham and SanFrancisco,Ca.
They made and sold (among other guns) what was called 'Trade Guns',,good solid utilitarian SxS shotguns and some combination SxS's under a couple different trade names,,G Hemenway being one.
Others included,,Never Miss,,W. Richards, The Invincible. Probably others.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
John Clayborough/ Philip Clayborough Brothers were at 8, Whittall St., B'ham, 1872-82; Clayborough & Brothers same address and St. Mary's Row, 1883-94; then as J P Clayborough & Johnstone at various address' to 1946. All B'ham address' and also could be named Claybrough between 1882-1900.
Nigel Brown, British Gunmakers vol. 2, pg. 193.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts