Gunboards Forums banner

G 89 Cut Off Interrupter?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  allanschisel 
#1 ·
Hi All

I have G89 with an odd add on. Its a cupped metal band that fits on the arm of the magazine cut off. It prevents the cut off from being activated by blocking the channel into the reciever.

It pops off so that the cut off functions normally.

Anyone else run into this?

Ike

#8 ·
Magazine cut-off.

Yup, I have one. One of the LG 1889's that I got in a group buy on the original SRF came with one. The Swiss started putting these things on about the same time that the Brits decided that the cut-off on the SMLE was about as useful as your appendix, and started removing them.

FWIW a model 1889 rifle, whether you call it Gewehr 1889, Gew 1889, G1889, or Langegewehr 1889, or LG 1889 ... is a totally different animal than the model 1889/96 (which may be called all of the same). The 1889/96 has the same receiver and bolt mechanism as the 1911 series rifles ... receiver is shorter, the locking lugs are on the front of the locking sleeve instead of the back as in the 1889. Nearly all of the M1889/96 rifles were converted to the 1911 pattern and can freely be used with GP11 ammunition. These are the 96/11's that are reasonably "available" today. A M1889/96 in its original configuration is pretty rare ... there was on an auction site a few days ago, and the minimum bid was commensurate with the rarity.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

#10 · (Edited)
I "discovered" those little metal bands when trying to figure out why some of my 1889 mags would not move. The Swiss made a precision piece that just snaps on and off. Pretty cool.
BTW, I'll be adding more 1889s and 1896/1911s to my website soon. I came up with some original slings to sell with these.
Allan Schisel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.