Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI... Wal-Mart has "The War" in hardcover, about $32. I looked through it briefly. Looks to be well done, and may cover some of the detailed accounts that the TV show can't. Also, there is a DVD set they sell, maybe the same thing they're showing on PBS(?).

Just FYI...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I will decide on the book after I watch the rest of the show. Then before I buy the book I will go to Books-A-Million have a couple cups of coffee and skim through it. Thats my routine for buying books.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
I will decide on the book after I watch the rest of the show. Then before I buy the book I will go to Books-A-Million have a couple cups of coffee and skim through it. Thats my routine for buying books.

Spetznatz on caffeine...(shudder)!!!!

Poot

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have to drink coffee so that I can stay up until 1 or 2 am every night posting here. I just had my fourth cup.

·
Registered
490 Posts
FYI... Wal-Mart has "The War" in hardcover, about $32. I looked through it briefly. Looks to be well done, and may cover some of the detailed accounts that the TV show can't. Also, there is a DVD set they sell, maybe the same thing they're showing on PBS(?).

Just FYI...
It would be worth owning both the video series AND the book.

As far as documentaries go.....I think Burns pretty much makes all the others pale in comparison..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I picked up the book, and saw the series on PBS. Quite a few photos I've never seen in there before. Definitely a worthy addition to any WW2 collection.

·
Silver Bullet member
883 Posts
This PM they referenced Bill Mauldin's account of Anzio ... I have his post-war compilation of toons from the Stars and Stripes, which is also his account of the war.... good read, it is a great whimsical (at times) laymans perspective of the war.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts