Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love the Focke-Wulf. I believe it with a few more modifications it would have given the P51 a run for its money.
They were a good advisary of most all of ours. They liked low altitude because the engine couldn't breathe in thin air. That's why they made an excellent attack a/c. Our a/c could really kill them if caught above 25,000 ft. to dogfight but if they got up that high to shoot bombers, they were hard hitters on us. The cannons used by them was most devestating and their construction was robust, consequently hard to bring down.The best thing to do was catch them before they dove toward the ground. They were what was known as a boom and zoom a/c. They build up speed in a dive to create energy and pull up . The other way to get them was if behind, was to anticipate them turning in a bank b/c the engine torgue would be much quicker one way or the other, I forget right or left. As you can tell ,I love the bird:D

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
yep. the ones with the shorter stubby wings are the mid alt. dogfighers, the ones with the long slender wings are high alt. check out the different marks of spitfire. besides engine change,did the wing thing.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
There are several really cool things I want to mention on the wonderful subject of old warbirds is the restoration of many of the rarer birds.

Gosshawk has a flying Dora 9, and another in the works. The White One foundation is restoring an A8 to flight status, they are even doing the original BMW801 engine. Have not heard of a TA152 being restored, but I would dig it is that came to be.

You might want to hit www.stormbirds.com for links from that site about the 262s to some 109s that are being restored, to the Weiss-ein.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts