Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering picking up a service grade m1 garand from the CMP and after watching some youtube videos and reading some stuff online I had a couple questions come to mind. Most of the rifles in the service-grade realm I see look like phillipine-lend rifles that have been recently reparkerized, with CMP stocks. I know that most, if not all, m1's went through a re-arsenal process, but is there really any kind of collectability in these newly-rebuilt rifles? Where I shoot mausers predominantly I think of it like putting a k98k in a new-manufacture boyd's replica stock. Does it handle just like an original k98k, yes, but it just isn't the same. But does it being done by a government entity make it more like a post-war re-arsenal? I'd like to know your thoughts and observations as well as what the future of the CMP is? I can't imagine in this day and age there are many lend-lease garands left, let alone that'll be let back in. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If you purchase a service grade gun (RM1SERVICE $750), it is not recent reparkeried. It is made safe and test fired. The bore condition noted. You can request the stock as it came back from Philippines and not a CMP restock. If this request is not honored it is new policy. Notes placed with the order have always been considered in the past and honored if possible. It could be right now, inventory is limited. If or when things are normal, You will get a nice GI grade gun with nothing new or offensive to the surplus eye. That is if you communicate. BTW, dont take this wrong but; that goes both ways. If you call and they say things are tight then you may have to wait out the Covid work issues and Biden panic buying.

This warrants a 2nd paragraph. Call and talk to these folks. They are good people. Nothing like your typical mil-surp vendors.

They are no way close to running out of Garands. On the other hand political winds are a total unknown.

My opinion the Philippine Garands, RM1SERVICE, are extremely nice guns, sold well below market value. Accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Garands the CMP restore to varying degrees (“Specials”) might not be “collectible” by basic standards, but they sure are valuable. The rack grade specials ($650 at the CMP) regularly sell on Gunbroker for $2k+. They are essentially new condition M1s for shooters that are very, very accurate rifles. I don’t see any way these rifles don’t do anything but increase in value. I have some I got from the CMP and they really are excellent rifles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you are really worried about the stock. If you live close enough to either the North or South store. Take a trip over. You can pick your own rifle from the stock on hand. This sort of eliminates the luck ofthe draw by mail order. Go n the CMP site and go to forms and check out the reviews for the two stores. People post what was there when they went. Can give you an idea as to whats there.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
If you are really worried about the stock. If you live close enough to either the North or South store. Take a trip over. You can pick your own rifle from the stock on hand. This sort of eliminates the luck ofthe draw by mail order.
that's what I did, since I'm only a couple of hours away :)

I hand picked a nice service grade Garand and 1903A3 when the Greeks returned those back to the Army, then I went back when the Italians returned the M1 carbines........I got there the first day they offered up WINCHESTERS. I looked at the rack grades and gauged those and they all fell in the service grade condition, when I asked why was that to a CMP staff.....he shrugged his shoulder and said, "they must have been graded on 4pm on a Friday"

any who I got a service grade WINCHESTER carbine at rack grade price, 600 bucks :D

also got a US M44 when they had a sale of them, they were blowing them out for something like 120 bucks

and you don't have to live close by there...........there was all sorts of license plate in the parking lot, from as far away as Maine

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,864 Posts
6 years ago I went to the north store. I was about 10th in line to get in when they opened. Those guys ahead of me knew just what they wanted and where it was at. In a matter of a few minutes anything worth buying was picked over. I ended up buying a couple of cans of ammo. I have thought of trying the south store sometime, but that's quite a drive for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I feel like I got super lucky with my 1st CMP M1. I mail ordered a service grade last year during the height of the pandemic. Took nearly 4 months to receive it, but when I did I was well pleased. It’s a June of 44 Springfield with its original barrel. The throat and bore measured 2/1 and there’s not a hint of pitting anywhere on the metal. Many of the small parts are not original and the stock is a post war DOD stamped model. My only complaint would be that the gas cylinder lock screw seems properly seized and the elevation knob on the rear sight has weak engagement for the first 8-10 clicks. If I had it to do over again, I would, and likely will, drive to Anniston (CMP South) for my next rifle purchase. It’s 5.5 hours one way, but I’ve gone further for less.

That said, if my only option were to mail order, as is the case for so many, I’d have no qualms about doing so.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with the consensus if you can go to the CMP store by all means do so. But for those of us out a bit to far, place your order now for sure (the 4 month time period wait is true). As mentioned for what the CMP charges, it's a no brainer with regard to a true value compared to the market. I purchased two via mail order and received a SA and a H&R, both in great condition with used, but good stocks. Order was placed in Sept 2020 and arrived in Dec 2020.

I recently placed another order for a IHC receiver, service grade (requested CMP wood) and I do not expect to see that until April or May. The WRA in field grade, I have not got to that point for luck of the draw, would rather grab that in person with a trip to the CMP store once Covid things somewhat settle down. Of course being winter hear in the Northwest, I've yet to fire either M1.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Im a little over a month in on my first CMP order. Im at a minimum about a 7 hour drive from the north store, so its mail in only for me. I went with a service grade M1. I personally couldnt care less as to collector value. I just want a decent shooter M1. It will only increase in value, with the way things are getting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im a little over a month in on my first CMP order. Im at a minimum about a 7 hour drive from the north store, so its mail in only for me. I went with a service grade M1. I personally couldnt care less as to collector value. I just want a decent shooter M1. It will only increse in value, with the way things are getting.
Sidney I agree with you. The two M1's I received from CMP last year are functional shooters. They have a value, mind you let's not forget that but I'm with you with regard to going after the same OEM parts on the rifle, I'm not going to waste my time. No problem with others that have a expectation that they want an all matching true configuaration OEM parts rifle, more power to them. Each collector has a set of parameters they work within and that's respectable, I shoot everything that I collect and every rifle/pistol is functional, safe and ready to fire. That's just the type of collection I chose to chase.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I sent my paperwork in to the cmp (for my 2nd Garand) around Thanksgiving. They are so backed up right now they haven’t even acknowledged the order yet. I’m told that it will probably be another week. Then they still have to process and fulfill the order. My first Garand from them was last mid July. I sent that paperwork in around late March early April.

Their website says “8-12 Week Delivery,
Confirmation of order could take up to 4-6 weeks.
It’s probably closer to 12 weeks+ and confirmation 8-10 weeks. If you’re going to order do it now.

·
Gold Bullet member
941 Posts
Went to the North store last Saturday with a couple of friends. The pickins were kind of slim but ended up with a very nice 6.1 mil SA and a lead dipped 1.9 mil SA. The 1.9 mil is a total mix master but has a very good 50's dated H&R barrel. North store has a 2 rifle limit for the year as of right now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.