Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
678 Posts
The gaine is most probably live. That is that tube at the bottom. It is right hand thread and can be quite safely screwed off. Once screwed off one will see the primer in the centre. I have seen gaines partially split by pliers and emptied of powder. Have also seen them with one corner nicked off so as to empty them or just soaked in diesel to lossen up the threads and the primer unscrewed with a pin spanner. Take note though gaines are not to be treated lightly and can be quite destructive to fingers and everything else. Try and devise a remote set up to remove primer from gaine with all risk minamising procedures in place. Plan your method of approach well and attempt any procedure at your own risk and without any liability to me.

As long as the safety fork is in place in is imposible for the striker to hit the primer and I would feel quite comfortable walking around all day with it in my pocket.

Without the gaine the the Type 88 semi delay artillery fuze is inert.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

·
Gold Bullet member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just took it off in the garage with a vise grip and a broom.Why is it called a gaine?
The primer and gaine are corroded bad like some 6.5 ammo i have.
this would have been on 88mm mortar rounds or bigger?
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
613 Posts
You guys are crazy! Is it really worth what could have happened? You could have easily ended up in a hospital blind with no fingers wondering what you were thinking. I am glad it worked out ok for you but geez. Think of your family. I am not trying to be a smart ass. This is a genuine post.
Scott

·
Silver Bullet Member
678 Posts
G'day Mate,
I wouldn't attempt to do anything with the gaine (magazine) especially in the state that you described. I wouldn't equate the gaine with 6.5 ammo. The difference is that one is full of propellent and the other has explosive which is more destructive.

This fuze relies on centrifugal force to arm it so it would not be used with mortars. The mortars used the Type 93 & Type 100 Instantaneous - Short Delay Fuzes. This Type 88 Short-Delay Fuze was used with the H.E Projectiles for the 57mm & 70mm Tank Guns, 75mm & 105mm guns, 70mm, 120mm and 150mm Howitzers.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

I just took it off in the garage with a vise grip and a broom.Why is it called a gaine?
The primer and gaine are corroded bad like some 6.5 ammo i have.
this would have been on 88mm mortar rounds or bigger?
Thanks
Scott

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I once saw a trained EOD giy shoot a dud butterfly bomb with a M 14 at about 20 feet.

It went off and a chunk of it messed up his knee pretty good.

My uncle had a siimilar fuse and threw it into his burn barrel.

He needed a new barrel after that.

Glad you are not telling this story from the hospital.

·
Gold Bullet member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curiosity is really getting to me with that description. I'm glad it worked out safely, but the visegrip/broom technique sounds interesting. I'm guessing it's not a trick from an old EOD manual..
I saw this method used to unscrew an oldstyle surface casing valve.Was told there was not that much pressure!The was a lot of pressure/volume, and it roared for a long time!It spit gravel too!
What I did was remove the gaine from the miane fuse.As if you read and know what they are,I did NOT try and remove the primer form the gaine.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It is not always about pressure. Friction can cause detonation as well. I honestly do not know how the Japanese made their fusses. It has been suggested here and elsewhere that on some fusses picric acid was used. It was not on this one because you would be typing this from the hospital. When picric acid is old and crystallized all it takes is friction or shock. The same kind of friction it would take to unscrew it.
Scott
P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK6Eoassjg&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQeS_JPM6uU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts