Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
tylernt
Gunboards Premium Member

161 Posts
Posted - 10/18/2003 : 7:44:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I don't want to get in trouble with the Fed, so the following "story" is presented as purely hypothetical speculation:

Let's say I have a Mak that I've shot maybe 300 hundred rounds of LVE, 100 rounds of CCI, and about 25 rounds of Wolf with. I shoot two mag fulls of Wolf today, pop in a fresh full mag, use the release to drop the slide, then use the safety to decock the hammer. I fire one shot DA, and pull the trigger for a SA shot... and next thing I know I'm crapping my pants because the gun is almost touching my face and is pointed skyward.

Our 'hypothetical' gun seems to have fired three rounds in some sort of fully automatic mode. :-O

I've examined the hammer and sear interface. No apparent damage. The sear fully and firmly engages the lug on the hammer. If I cock the hammer as slowly as I can, the sear still snaps firmly into place with no hesitation or grittiness. The mating faces appear to be parallel.

I cleaned the pistol before shooting, and the firing pin is squeaky clean, well lubricated, and fell out of the channel into my hand with no effort.

I was unable to find the "brass" (steel cases) because they went in the weeds, so I don't know if the primers were high. I examined the rest of the box and the primers are all seated visibly and to the touch below the surface.

So... what do you do to fix a fully automatic Mak? I seem to recall some discussion on this on the old board, but I can't seem to get the old board to work. Does one just start replacing parts? I've always wanted a fully automatic weapon but this is NOT the way to do it -- help!

RedLeg
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
417 Posts
Posted - 10/19/2003 : 08:14:54 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds to me as though you unintentionally bump fired it. Before you go replacing parts, I would recommend a few more range sessions to see if you get a repeat incident.

Read between the lines, criticize the words they're selling.
Think for yourself, and feel the walls become sand beneath your feet.
--Queensryche--

logansdad
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1693 Posts
Posted - 10/19/2003 : 10:27:49 AM

As RedLeg stated, sounds like a bump fire. Make sure you fully and decisively pull the trigger all the way through. Failure to do so may allow the sear to reset under recoil and your finger could be perfectly set to send the next round downrange with just a little pressure.

Bump firing is a favorite pasttime for some boards members (especially AK/SKS owners) and I know of one board member here who will go unnamed (RedBear) who enjoys practicing this technique with his Makarov.

tylernt
Gunboards Premium Member

161 Posts
Posted - 10/19/2003 : 11:24:10 AM

Whew, that makes me feel a little better.

The rate of fire amazes me. I thought it was a double until an onlooker said they heard three shots and I counted what was left in the mag. Definitely more of a buzz than a thumping. Really gets the ol' adrenaline going.

I'll give it another go... loaded with two rounds per magazine, and with a nice tight grip!!

One of Many
Gunboards Member

USA
81 Posts
Posted - 10/19/2003 : 7:54:33 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, on several occaisions. It happened with every magazine I own. I replaqced parts one at a time, (keep the old parts for spares) until I found the problem. The sear in that gun had been tampered with. It was impossible to tell that until I did a direct comparison with a new sear. The damaged sear looked good, and it looked like it made good contact with the hammer notch, but it did not work properly. That sear was thrown away, so I never have to worry about accidentally getting it back into one of my guns. I noticed that the trigger pull with the altered sear was much lighter and smoother than with a new sear, so I am sure that a previous owner (Bulgarian Military or Police User) had modified the gun.

You may want to get a set of spare parts to have on hand in case of malfunction, so you can get back to ready status as quickly as possible, if you use your Makarov as a carry gun.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts