Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm wondering which type of KM stock would be accurate for my bnz 45 5312 t? Since there were only 623 rifles made after this one, it was at the very end of the final production...which makes me curious as to whether or not it ever made it out of the factory. I'm thinking there's a good chance it was captured while still there. Also, since this would have been at the very end of the war, would they only have been using the full KM stocks at that time, and no semi's?

I have all matching bbl, receiver, bolt assy, trigger and trigger guard assy, and it seems to be in excellent shape (haven't received it yet). I'm wondering if I should just order a full KM stock from Fox's as there don't seem to be any original stocks available? I have been made an offer ($300) for a semi KM stock, without handguard, buttplate or forend cap, but for not much more I can get a full KM repro from Fox's, wouldn't that be more accurate to what it should've had?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wouldn't get too crazy, its been heavily altered buffed. maybe a post war CZ stock would be best.
Yeah, that’s what the description said as well. I won’t know really how much it’s been altered until I get it in, but I’ve got a plan on restoring it to a more original condition. I was mainly wondering if I should jump on this semi KM stock or just hold off for a full KM. Thanks for the feedback! Being that it was produced so late, I wondered if it might have just ended up in a post war stock from the beginning.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Not sure where you got only 623 rifles after this ( Backbone?). There is a bnz 45 s/n 6403T on the K98k forum which is 1091 later. In any case definitely near the end. The highest recorded numbers are not necessarily THE last one made. All the T blocks shown on the K98k forum picture reference have full Kriegsmodell stocks, including one beauty in a walnut stock.

edit- Was checking K98k Vol.III and had forgotten to mention that Steyr was switching codes from bnz 45 to swj XE just before the end of the war. The switch was started in the T block and the highest recorded swj XE at that time was 6433T. Could most likely be several higher than that. Backbone book info on serial numbers is outdated these days.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure where you got only 623 rifles after this ( Backbone?). There is a bnz 45 s/n 6403T on the K98k forum which is 1091 later. In any case definitely near the end. The highest recorded numbers are not necessarily THE last one made. All the T blocks shown on the K98k forum picture reference have full Kriegsmodell stocks, including one beauty in a walnut stock.

edit- Was checking K98k Vol.III and had forgotten to mention that Steyr was switching codes from bnz 45 to swj XE just before the end of the war. The switch was started in the T block and the highest recorded swj XE at that time was 6433T. Could most likely be several higher than that. Backbone book info on serial numbers is outdated these days.
Thank you for the correction! I was going by the info listed here: Mauser K98 Factory Codes - Collezionisti Armi Ex Ordinanza Helps

CodeStarting SerialEnding Serial
bnz45​
4166q​
5935t​

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Many of these s/n listings are often misunderstood to be gospel. They are all ESTIMATES based on known reported serial numbers and letter blocks from surviving rifles at the time they are published. Some listings are given as estimated, and others don't state that, or just list "ending s/n" as a hard, known number. For the most part, the factory records that survived don't list specific serials for rifles coming off the assembly line on a given date. New rifles turn up over time that add to the research for known range of production. Not trying to be anal, but the issue comes up from time to time. Just an FYI for all regarding production estimates.

·
Silver Bullet Member
877 Posts
I've got a rifle that is very close to yours. Mine is 5381 T. I had posted it here years ago but the pictures didn't survive the forum updates. Mine also needed a stock. I ended up using a post war Czech stock. It at least looks the part from a distance. As TA said, it's buffed and blued and it's not worth going crazy trying to restore it.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your input! Below is what I ended up with. I posted another thread with the details of the project, but I found a sporterized stock on eBay for $70, then spliced a forend from a busted K98 stock and came out with something close to a full Kriegsmodell

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to post a link to the finished project for anyone that is interested:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.