Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a full Kreigsmodell stock on a 98k.

The front barrel band is missing the screw. The back barrel band has the original screw. However, when I attempt to place that one in the front band the screw head is to small and slips through the band hole.

Do the front and back barrel bands have different size screw heads???

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming your front band is from a Dot or DOU rifle. They had the larger style screw hole. I used a vz24 spanner screw ordered from numrich in my dou45 resto. I used a Dremel cut disc to join the two holes into a slot for flathead screwdriver. Supposedly this is what was done on DOU's and Dot's for a while.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?247713-Dou-45-Semi-Kriegs-Resto!&highlight=resto
I looked at the link for your restore. That looks like the front band I have with the front hole larger then the back hole.

My rifle is a byf 45 98k does that mean I have a incorrect front band for this rifle???

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
That is what I'm thinking.... Any chance you could post up some pics so we could positively ID it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I'm thinking.... Any chance you could post up some pics so we could positively ID it?
Here are some photos of the front band. You can see the front hole is way to big for the screw. The screw came off the back band.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
Yup, looks like a KM DOT front band and/or possibly for a DOU. The BYF and BNZ scew holes are very similar to each other in size and smaller...

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
So this is the wrong front band for this rifle?
IMO I think so, to me it looks like a DOT band. Your screw might be wrong perhaps or it really is a dot band. Ill let the experts verify. You be the judge for now. Here are some pics I took of the "kriegsmodell" book (I hope Mike and Bruce dont mind, I will remove immediately if they do). First photo from left to right is BYF, BNZ, DOU and DOT...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I think so, but you be the judge. Here are some pics I took of the "kriegsmodell" book (I hope Mike and Bruce dont mind, I will remove immediately if they do). First photo from left to right is BYF, BNZ, DOU and DOT...

Thats a close call for sure. If I was just looking at the pictures I would say you are correct, but again the front hole on the byf photo looks a little larger. The front band on my rifle has the same patina, wear etc as the back ban and the rest of the gun. It really looks original to the rifle.

Any idea where I could get the correct screw? Is the vz24 spanner screw my only option??

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
Its gonna be tough to find an original byf screw. Fellow forum member "atlas" has made KM screw repros which are fantastic and look original in all respects. Lately he was doing the front end plates with screws. He is all out if the band screws but.... I would ask him if he could help you out with a repro screw or perhaps give you some advice on which one to use as a placeholder. Worst case scenario, you could modify a vz24 spanner screw to fit nicely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.