Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened.....

Shooting the Mak at the range today and on 3 occasions, I had 2 rounds that fired full auto.
I know there was a thread about this a few months ago and I can't remember if there was a consensus on why it was happening to some other people but i think i know why...LOOSE GRIP SCREW.

I was shooting my Mak with Dennis grips, but the screw I have is just a bit too long, too snug against the magazine. So I loosened it up a bit and that's when I had the full auto experience. Cool and fun? Yes. Practical and safe? NO!

My buddy at the range happend to have a few extra washers that fit so i threw them in. Viola! No more full auto Mak. The extra play in the mainspring when I had the grip screw too loose must have been causing the problem. Something to consider if anyone else ever has this problem...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hm, Hm.....

So.... The firing pin audibly rattles...?

Sorry to question you, Johnny! It's just that I cannot possibly conceive how a loose griphandle screw could cause an unintentional full auto...

:confused:

It's truely perplexing.

-S

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So.... The firing pin audibly rattles...?

Sorry to question you, Johnny! It's just that I cannot possibly conceive how a loose griphandle screw could cause an unintentional full auto...

:confused:

It's truely perplexing.

-S
No problem, ask away. I am just as perplexed. I'm not sure if the firing pin audibly rattled before i started shooting, but I can guarantee the firing pin and channel were clean. If there was just a bit of play in the mainspring from a loose screw (and i mean pretty loose) you don't think this could have caused the problem? Now you have me thinking.....
I shot about 100 rounds after I tightened the grip screw with no more rock-and-roll. I guess maybe I shouldn't clean it and take her back out for another few 100 rounds to see if that is indeed the case....

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just don't see how, Johnny.

The thing is, the handle screw indeed does go through the mainspring, but there's always that mainspring retainer doohickie...

Maybe...

If the screw were literally falling out and the retainer had slid down, dislodging from the mainspring....

Yes my friend, recheck your firing pin. It should audibly rattle, like a BB in a cup! I use a pipe cleaner and leave the channel "clean and dry".

That's just the most common cause. There are other issues (worn sear, etc.) with which I have no experience. I've just never heard of a loose handle screw causing it, nor can I logically see how it could.

Not to say it's not possible....

-S

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lots of people have posted out here that you can get multiple round bursts by using a 'loose hold' on the pistol. Can get the same thing with ‘limp wrist’.
They call it a ‘bump fire’. Basically, the pistol moves / pivots just right, and your trigger finger sets it off in rapid succession. (Not a big deal, just something MAK owners should be aware of.);)

Timbo, Slim and NB all have written about it IIRC.
I can see where you might get the same result, IF the pistol grip itself was not secured snugly to the frame. I’m thinking the gun was being allowed to pivot a little in your hand (actually in the grip itself). I’d think that may have the same effect as ‘loose hold’ or ‘limp wrist’. My best guess FWIW, T

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have a worn sear or hammer, replace them with a new one

You can have a slam fire when you chamber a round, you wouldn't want that happen at home.
There is a Simson Suhl Conversion available I think, to eliminate slam fire

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of people have posted out here that you can get multiple round bursts by using a 'loose hold' on the pistol. Can get the same thing with ‘limp wrist’.
They call it a ‘bump fire’. Basically, the pistol moves / pivots just right, and your trigger finger sets it off in rapid succession. (Not a big deal, just something MAK owners should be aware of.);)

Timbo, Slim and NB all have written about it IIRC.
I can see where you might get the same result, IF the pistol grip itself was not secured snugly to the frame. I’m thinking the gun was being allowed to pivot a little in your hand (actually in the grip itself). I’d think that may have the same effect as ‘loose hold’ or ‘limp wrist’. My best guess FWIW, T
BINGO! I think we have a winner...

I had to loosen the grip screw so much that the grip WAS pivoting a little bit. So while my thought that it may have had something to do with the loose mainspring, in actuality, it was the loose grip giving me the "limp wrist" syndrome. I realize it could have been a multitude of things, but based on my range experience, I'm fairly confident that it was indeed the loose grip screw.

Thanks all for your contributions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm glad it wasn't your sear or other mechanical malady! The PM is pretty darned simple so your grip screw/hold issue may be dead on.

In over 4k or 5k rds thru various, Maks. The firing pin & channel were never an issue, even with 500rds of nasty-ass Norinco in one session with a Russian!

A semi-long chuckle:
I have one particular milsurp Bulgie that was 'inspected for sear/hammer modifications' type at an outdoor range a few years back... Bubba the RO could not wrap his brain around how fast & smoothly a properly utilized fixed-barrel design can squeeze off controlled fire rounds even though I even let him shoot it. I was on an IPSC practice range at that and he kept at it until I proved all shots were on the black at 10yds or so - and he kept on grumbling that people could hear the discharges and they would all come over (to the IPSC area) in droves & be outta control with stray bullet mayhem. The RO's final excuse was that from the business office up front you could hear my 'full auto bursts' and he was nervous b/c LEO's and Feds use the range as well.

The pistol in question there is a very-well broken-in and almost over-maintained milsurp with 100% stock parts carefully chosen for fit from a Bulgarian armorer's kit.

So I reckon the lesson learned is be careful where you unleash the PM's full potential!

Too bad he wasn't there the day I verified that the 'rubber-band' method really does work on AR15's and that is totally 100% legal per ATF's own rules. I could do a DIAS there but why bother for a range toy? Too much paid in SBR & supressor tax stamp fees for HD as it is. Cheap mag-dumps, anyone?

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are a number of veterans here who really have the handle on how these exquisite little bullet launchers function. I just repeated their stuff. (I try to pay attention.)
Can see where if the grip was a bit loose, the pistol could build up a little momentum, so to speak, and pivot in hand, similar to ‘limp wrist’ etc. Will be very interested to hear JZ’s results the next time he shoots it.

I wouldn’t encourage anyone to ‘play’ with bump fire (or double-tap) myself, BTW. Still recall a guy a year or so ago, AD shot himself in the thumb IIRC. Think that one turned out to be a stuck F/P, but it illustrates the fact that these are not toys. Never know who might be reading out here – get strange ideas.;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
BINGO! I think we have a winner...
I had to loosen the grip screw so much that the grip WAS pivoting a little bit. So while my thought that it may have had something to do with the loose mainspring, in actuality, it was the loose grip giving me the "limp wrist" syndrome. I realize it could have been a multitude of things, but based on my range experience, I'm fairly confident that it was indeed the loose grip screw.
Did you find the solution to the problem? If the firing pin sounds normally loose and rattly, it looks like the two opinions were: 1.) loose grip/limp wrist and 2.) worn sear and/or hammer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Strange Experience

Did you find the solution to the problem? If the firing pin sounds normally loose and rattly, it looks like the two opinions were: 1.) loose grip/limp wrist and 2.) worn sear and/or hammer.
The reason I went back to this old thread was a strange experience I just had with a recently acquired Bulgy. I think I was on my 2nd magazine when I noticed a really strong recoil when I fired one round - extra loud, too. A hot factory load? I looked at my hand, the gun and, since both were still in one piece, I fired a few more rounds -- making sure I was gripping firmly. I noticed two more of these after firing another 6 or 8 times and decided that sometimes this Mak must be firing a 2nd round immediately after the 1st. I put the pistol away. I also noticed that this particular Mak was grossly inaccurate. I was firing another recently acquired Mak and it was performing normally with the same ammo.

I'm not mechanically inclined, but last night I field stripped and compared the innards with another Mak and all looked normal to my eye. The firing pin rattles and the grips are tight.

I'm going to a gunsmith today for other reasons and am going to have him look at this Mak, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have had my full auto bulgie to the range on 2 occasions since my slam fire episode and after filing the grip screw a bit and tightening the grip down tight, I have had no more problems.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have had my full auto bulgie to the range on 2 occasions since my slam fire episode and after filing the grip screw a bit and tightening the grip down tight, I have had no more problems.
Today, the gunsmith looked at me skeptically. He suggested only keeping two rounds in the magazine to see if it was really doing what I suspected. I don't know how else to explain the extra recoil, and it seemed like one extra loud boom. Will go back to the range and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.