Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1918 RSAF Enfield No.1 MkIII* has a newer rear sight leaf cap than would seem appropriate, as well as a very crisp trigger break. I don't see any FTR mark on the rifle and was wondering when the British gov't began officially marking their rifles with the FTR mark? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
FTR seems to have started by about 1943/4 with No4s. Most No1s with "FTR" marked on them seem to have been refurbished post-WW2.

No1s typically bear barrel dates of 1920s, when UK gradually went through the stockpiles of surviving SMLEs. Often there is a '20s or '30s date stamped on the left of the butt socket, and this seems to indicate a depot rebuild. Some rifles - which were obviously in regular army service in the interwar period, and heavily used - bear several dates in this location.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Thunderbox. Interesting. This rifle sports it's original '18 barrel, and is not heavily marked, except for it's original proofmarks. I fantasize that it may not have been heavily used, coming at the end of WWI, and with the Brits switching to the No.4 for most of WWII. Perhaps some desert combat!? Who knows!?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts