Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I took my CG63/80 out for the first time today. Shooting at 100 yards to get the hang of the sights and the rifle in general. From a bench I got a few touching pairs, and most three shot groups under one inch, so I'm happy the rifle is accurate enough that I'll be the limiting factor. I was using factory Remington hunting ammo (projectiles and brass arriving soon for hand-loads) and the helpful chap on the next bench with the 45-70 gave me a few flyers :)

The targets I used were less than optimal. 6" red rings instead of black circles, and I had the post foresight installed. I do have about a dozen other Elit fore elements to play with next time though.

Main question: what target sizes are used for FSR matches at 100, 300 and 600? And how does one select the best foresight for the task?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Usually a FSR match is performed at 300 meters shooting in prone (using sling), kneeling and standing. The targets black and round portion is 600 millimeters widh.

·
Registered
577 Posts
JD. I shoot in NRA/CMP competitive High power rifle events. Normally we shoot at 200,300 and 600 yards for NRA/CMP XTC events. BUT if a range is limited to a certain distance, the events will feature targets that are appropriate for that range distance.

For the most part full range targets (out to 800 yards) feature a black that is 6 moa across. Thus you can purchase targets that have a 6 moa black sized appropriately for the distance your range has.

I shoot slung up. Not off a bench. The Swedes shoot likewise. For some reason, over the past few decades Americans have began shooting off benches with their rifles supported by all sorts of supports. I suppose that's OK if your into "benchrest shooting" but its not my cup of tea. Each to his own.

You can visit American Target Company and see the targets they offer.

As for foresight targets. You might consider "globe" type which it sounds that you have. Sized appropriately for the size of the black bull at the distance your shooting. Again each to their own.

Shoot and enjoy.

ptf18

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you are into printing your own, or making your own targets, mcw-tech.com presents considerable options with their Target Express software. Perfect if you have access to a large format printer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts