Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research recently into the swedish FSR and can't seem to turn up anything specific about distances, targets, or scores. Do any of you much more knowledgeable gentleman have any information on what distances were shot and at what style of target for these competitions? Additionally, do we have record of any kind of score sheet/scores for competitions? I only ask as I'd love to replicate an FSR shoot and see how I stack up with one of my rifles against the swedes of the day.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Oh, I had this thread bookmarked. Has some of your answers.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have a fairly late single page shooting guide from Norma which presents guidance on what amount of wind adjustment (or aimoff) is needed for winds of 2/4/6/8/10 metres per second. The title is "Vindavdrift, Korn- o. Malbredd".

Built into the chart is target size, which I think is expressed as half the target width. This is used as input for getting the aimoff with the military sight or the adjustment needed on the target sight ( "Knapp"). The target sight adjustment I am not sure about (not a Swedish speaker) but it is built into the curves the chart presents (sounds complicated but I will post an image later)

All I know is on my CG63 with the Elit backsight the windage is precisely metric each "click" equals 1 cm at 100 metres, so that 3 clicks equals one Minute of Angle.

I don't know why the location of each target size e.g. C20 at about 165 metres is slightly away from a rational range.

Assuming the targets were actually set at a rational distance, range vs circular target size (diameter)is as follows
150 m = 40 cm
200 m = 50 cm
275 m = 60cm
300 m = 75 cm
350 m = 80 cm
400 m = 100 cm

At 300 metres the chart shows the 10/9/8/7 scoring ring sizes. Arilar did post some examples of 300 m target faces at;

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Courtesy of swedeadmirer, here is the whole Skyttesticka range calculator, including showing the target sizes the Swedish FSR used at each competition range

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
With the flat trajectory of M94, and the later M94 with M41 Torpedo bullet ammo, range estimation and POA selection are much less critical than with other military cartridges. And that is why we love 6.5x55!
If I understand this correctly, they are shooting in this competition up to 600m. 6.5x55 match 120gr will drop from 540m to 600m by almost extra 32"...so 10% mistake from distance estimation of 600m will cost you miss center of your target by roughly 32"...I'm not sure how big their targets are, but even with 6.5x55, I bet that their range estimation game has to be on point to truly compete...

·
Gold Bullet member
9,506 Posts
I am guessing that Swedish shooters, both military and FSR, were schooled to use various aids for range estimation. Back in antiquity when I received training on the M1 Garand, there were various aids used to refine the range estimate. One was to compare the width of a man-sized target with the width of the front sight blade. If the target was the same width, then the rifle would hit at 300 yds at battle sight zero. Or something like that; it's been over fifty years!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.