Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new sling swivel/eyebolt for my stamped Cetme to replace one I drilled out.So,how should I go about installing it.My theory is:

Lock the eyebolt in a vise,heat until cherry red.
Slide barreled receiver over eyebolt,and have someone hold it straight.
Knock the hell out of it with a steel punch (fast,before it cools)to flare the end of the bolt.

Please correct me if I am wrong.I have a lot of theories.

· Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it should work.I just tried my way and it failed completely,cooled too soon to flare it.And bent it all to hell.Ordered another one from RTG.Can you be more specific as to where you set the rifle while you peen the pin?

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a vice with an anvil at the back. Not real big. I DID NOT use the vise, just the anvil. A piece of flat steel or other hard surface will work just as well. I drilled something like a 1/8" dimple about as deep as the trippleframe so that once peened you can see a small dimple left. A larger punch (more than 1/8") but tapered was used to force the sides out. I have some transfer punches and used one to flatten it out. All this while having the loop portion laid on the anvil. A bit much to hold all at once but not bad and the results look and work good. You can solder it but chance loosening the frame. You can tack weld it as most do who get a used pin that is shorter than new.

· Registered
10 Posts
Here's some pics. This is an extra couple of pins I have. Notice one that is used is shorter than the other. It was welded. I did not use the one new pin as I thought I drilled too large of a diameter dimple in and the shoulders would be thin once peened. You can see the finished product and the @size of the dimple drilled. There's a little more "meat" to the right. Didn't hold the punch quite square but that's the beauty of it. These pins are not hardened. They will peen easily.
I keep editing because I remember more. Use a tiny bit to center and start then slightly larger until the diameter is reached.

· Registered
116 Posts
I did the drill, dimple, expand for my FR7 where the eyebolt was bent and broke off when I tried to straighten it. A center punch got the expansion started.

I've found a steel BB and a vice or geared pliers will make a nice, round expansion beyond that. Fill the eyelet with a steel rod first so you don't close it when you press.

I had to modify the shoulder of the CETME eyelet to fit the FR7, the parts are not identical.

-- Chuck

· Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Got my sling swivels from RTG on Sarturday,and installed them on Sunday.Drilled them out with a Dremel,expanded them with a center punch and then a BB,and flattened them out with a drift punch.Painted the ends with BBQ paint and reinstalled the slings.Look beautiful.Thank you for the great info.My Cetmes are now complete.Both now have a bolt gap of .012,with unground bolt head and standard 8 MM rollers.Both have proper cocking handle gap,and cock easily.Both have straight triple frames and flash hiders with bayonet lug.Only one thing remains,and that is trigger jobs for both from Bill Springfield.

· Registered
116 Posts
I used the drill-flare, punch, BB and hammer method to replace the broken eylet on my FR7 carbine. I used a rod to keep the eyelet open on the anvil while hammering the other end. Casey's Aluminum Blackening simulates Parkerization well on steel.

-- Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.