Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Russian commercial Mak with a fixed rear similar to the ones on Makarov.com (though from a different source). I like the new rear sight, but the front leaves a lot to be desired. I started wondering if anyone has had the front sight milled off and tapped for a shotgun brass bead? I guess that it would then also be possible to use a FO front shotgun sight, too.

Any thoughts to the viability of this idea?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got a russian IJ70-18AH with the makarov.com concealed carry sight as well...HUGE upgrade over the stock target sight, IMHO.

I contemplated using a "Hi-Viz" bead for a short while...but decided it probably wouldn't hold up to the abuse.

I would send my slide off to get a it dovetailed, and a new front sight installed...but of all the research I've done, I'm yet to find a front sight I like out of the box! And I'm not going to spend $75+ to get my slide done, only to get it home and start filing and re-profiling the new sight to please me aesthetically.

I think a traditional shotgun bead would be a bit difficult to use...and I'm not sure I could get along with the looks--perhaps if you flattened to sides of the bead, but at that point you wouldn't be much ahead of the stock front sight.

Below is my alternative.
I painted the inside "U" of the makarov.com sight with argent silver enamel, and they front post with a blaze orange enamel. The key is to THOROUGHLY clean the surface (I used non-chlorinated brake cleaner). I've only shot 100rds since the mod, but it's held up great so far.
I used the same enamel on one of my .22lr rifles a few years ago--it's still looking like new, even after all the abuse I've given it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bscman,
How did you get the blaze orange point on the front post to be so circular? I like what you did there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry guys...the front sight "appears" rounded...but it really is just the crappy auto-focus feature of the camera not working how I wanted it to. It's still squared.

The rear sight was purchased at makarov.com...last I checked they were still in stock--they are a direct replacement for the "target adjustable rear sight" that came on the commercial russian makarov's.

The notch is a little wider, and makes sight acquisition much quicker. A+ to makarov.com for this sight...

If I didn't already mention it--that is the Hi-cap russiah (IJ70-18AH)...
HEHEHE.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Where is Horsesense when we really need him? Some of you may remember his use of part of a penny silver soldered onto the front of the slide.

For those of you who weren't here for Horsesense, he was a funny troll who proposed outrageous mods to Makarovs. The half-penny front sight was one of my favorites.

I think Novak low mount sights are in the future for my primary carry Bulgy. Little bitty sights are for young soldiers with perfect eyes. CB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts