Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a k98, and I just put a mojo sight on the rear. No problem.
I want to put the front sight on it- problem.
The front sight has "wings" and I cannot drift out the post.

Anyone know how to remove the front post?

I DO NOT want to make permanent changes to the rifle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You can try to remove the front sight blade by tapping it from below alternating on both sides. Get a brass hammer and tap the ends that stick out from the post. Removing it by drifting won't work since you'll still end up with a blade that's tucked in pretty good in the post.

The front blade will drift. It probably doesn't look like it will drift since it hasn't been moved in how many decades and you can also have crap lodged in it. But the point is it will drift since it's designed that way. When you get the blade off there's a screw that secures the post to the ring. Not sure if you have to mess with that to install the Mojo sights.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
try kroil or some wd-40. spray and let sit i bit. then use a wood block or plastic block. give it a tap. you may have to gp back and forth a bit, also remember its 'peened' in. look down at it. see the little 'line' mark on top? that makes the two parts of the sight a total bit*h old school but damn effective.
question for the boards. im pretty sure the sight is not simmetrical, ie.. it only comes out one way. true for false?

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
False, an un-mushed dovetail will enter/slide from left or right.
If yours is mashed, push it as far as it will go to the left or right and file/grind the mashed area down to flush, then it will come out when pushed the other way.
I have a front sight "press' tool that pushes even the most frozen,rusted, gummed up blades with ease.
I picked it up off Auction arms or Gunbroker last year, it was a great purchase and not expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sight moves- no clearance

I can move the sight, but the sight is surrounded by 'ears'.
When I drift the sight post to one side, the thing will not clear the ear and come free.

I have an image if anyone wants to see it. send me an e-mail at [email protected]

Incidentaly, it does not look like a dovetail- but a square block that is secured in the 'ears' somehow.

I almost think I need to remover the entire front sight- but that is more than I want to attempt.

Thanks for all the responses

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
The ears are distorted metal from getting smacked repeatedly with a hammer and/or punch.
File or grind the ears flush with the body of the dovetail and it will come out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why not just leave the front sight alone? The rear "mojo unit" should be able to use the normal front sight easily I would think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts