Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Frommer Stop in 380 today and put it in layaway. First one I have seen and it peaked my interest. Done a little research but not much info on these. Who can tell me about it and what is it worth? I believe it has been refinished but all correct. Surprising how well the bore looks. Can't wait to take it out and put a few rounds down range. Oh it came with a holster but looks like a remake. I took a couple of pics.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wood
Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Black
Wood Trigger Gas Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Not redone ……rare caliber 380 with Frommer pistols (Most are 32s.)……condition is on par with most Frommers. ……What someone is willing to pay ……700 to 800. (Also, 380s used post war by Hungarian police; very few sent to other countries. A few used in Austria.)
My O.O. Joe

·
Registered
18,766 Posts
BTW... it's not in .380, it can shoot .380, the caliber was 9mm Frommer, which is a hot load .380

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
What do the .32 ACP fromers go for when functional but with worn finish. I know the correct caliber is supposed to be .32 frommer.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
where would one get that odd ball ammo- 9m/m FROMMER & 32 FROMMER? never heard of it. I have shot .380. in the 9mm's & 32 ACP, in the 32's. so is it a dangerous practice?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
where would one get that odd ball ammo- 9m/m FROMMER & 32 FROMMER? never heard of it. I have shot .380. in the 9mm's & 32 ACP, in the 32's. so is it a dangerous practice?
i have a frommer .32. it will only function reliably with seller & bellot ammo. i think the originals were loaded hotter than american ammo.

·
Registered
552 Posts
7.65mm and 9mm Frommer are almost the exact some cartridge as .32acp and .380acp, respectively, except loaded a tad hotter. You will likely (liability disclaimer, this is my non-professional opinion) not damage your firearm by shooting .32acp in a 7.65mm Frommer and .380acp in a 9mm Frommer. DO NOT SHOOT +P rounds in them. Not worth the risk even though the Frommer rounds were a bit hotter. Keep in mind, these are not direct blowbacks, they do have a locking mechanism.

Reactions: jearl

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Here I see is a source newly manufacturer parts including springs. Frommer Stop .32 & .380 pistol
Below is a reference for metric spec on frommer ammo from https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/9mm-frommer-7-65mm-frommer/24469
Reference
250 meters = 820.21/fps .380 frommer (edit)
280 meters=918.635/fps 32 frommer
Source
Reference: “Vom Ursprung der Selbstladepistole, Repetier- und Selbstladepistolen
in Oesterreich-Ungarn 1884 bis 1918, Oesterreichische Pistolen - Band I,” Page 639,
Kalibertabelle 24 and Kalibertabelle 25, by Josef Moetz and Joschi Schuy:
7.65 X 17 mm Frommer Lang (Frommer Long):
Vo: 280 mps
Bullet Weight: 4.55 gram
Case Length: 17 to 17.5 mm
9 mm Frommer:
Vo: ca. 250 mps
Bullet Weight 5.95 gram to 6.1 gram
Case Length: 17 to 17.24 mm
Both cartridges loaded with FMJ RN bullets and both cartridges with the Frommer headstamp.
A box for Geco 7.65 mm Frommer Long, with no headstamp, is known from Gustav Gecschow,
Durlach, Germany. I have no information on its ballistics, but likely it would closely reproduce
the original “Frommer Ladung” (Frommer loading).
These two cartridges were for the Frommer Stop Pistols, and the Frommer Baby-Pistol. Ballistics
would be lessened slightly out of the shorter barrel of the Baby-Pistol.
John Moss

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What do the .32 ACP fromers go for when functional but with worn finish. I know the correct caliber is supposed to be .32 frommer.
Frommers are odd looking pistols and draw peoples attention…..like me. Most are 32s, but they did make it in 380 (after WW I.) I rarely see nice ones, and if you do they are redone Frommer. Also, a Frommer you rarely see is the Baby Frommer……Prices are all over the board. What someone is willing to pay…..Me, no more than 400 to 500. Pictured are a Baby Fommer 7.65 (You never see the 380 Baby) a Liliput Frommer in 6.35 the smallest.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Frommers are odd looking pistols and draw peoples attention…..like me. Most are 32s but they did make it in 380 (after WW I.) I rarely see nice ones and if you do they are redone Frommer you rarely see is the Baby Frommer……Prices are all over the board. What someone is willing to pay…..Me, no more than 400 to 500. Pictured are a Baby Fommer 7.65 (You never see the 380 Baby) a Liliput Frommer in 6.35 the smallest.
I paid $30 dollars for my full size back in the early '70s. it needed a replacement magazine. worked last time I fired it many years ago. It needs new springs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know if there is a web page dedicated to the Frommer? I would like to find out what the stamping mean on the trigger guard. This one has BP, then a crest, and 16.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've fired normal .32 ACP ammo in my Frommer stop for many years. Works fine. As somebody else has said, the Frommer cartridges are loaded a little hotter due to it being a locked action.BUT, I have never seen a Frommer cartridge.
VWMAN.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a web page dedicated to the Frommer? I would like to find out what the stamping mean on the trigger guard. This one has BP, then a crest, and 16.
That stamp is Austro-Hungarian military acceptance in 1916. Actually the military-accepted 380 pistols are quite uncommon, most of the military ones were in 32.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have one like it. That is a rare gun. The Hungarians originally tried some 9mm commercial guns in ww1 because of availability and liked them. That is 1 of approximately 9k that was made for the military. Haven't seen one sell online. I've been checking gb for the past 5-6 years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have one like it. That is a rare gun. The Hungarians originally tried some 9mm commercial guns in ww1 because of availability and liked them. That is 1 of approximately 9k that was made for the military. Haven't seen one sell online. I've been checking gb for the past 5-6 years.

Good info. You care to share some pictures of the one you have?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
A rare what ……9mm Regular Frommer or a Baby Frommer in 9mm….Which I’ve never seen, but were made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts