·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bayonetcollector
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/07/2006 : 5:26:29 PM I recently visited a motorcycle/car fair in Oslo where there are usually a fair number of weapons sold as well. I picked up a 1915 dated Lineman tool and a 1943 Spanish Mauser rifle at a ridiculously low price. However the greatest find of the day was medals and documentation of a veteran of WWI and WWII.

Here's Rudolf Georg Bube from Bochum in Nordrhein Westphalen, a German WWI soldier from the 9th of november 1914 to the 2nd of december 1918.

Posting all the documentation will make an incredibly large post so I'll make a second one with the details. It is here: http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=163733

Here's Rudolf Georg Bube photographed in 1925, it is from his drivers licence.

Download Attachment:
289.03 KB

Here he is in 1935. The picture is from his passport.

Download Attachment:
141.35 KB

Normally it is impossible to attach a name to German medals. Unlike the English, the Germans did not engrave the names on the medals. However these are Bubes, beyond doubt.

Download Attachment:
202.38 KB

Together with the medals I got his Militärpass (soldiers service book) that gives the details of his service in the Prussian Ersatz Jäger battallion number 7.

Download Attachment:
281.08 KB

Interestingly he has glued in a cutout from a book showing all the actions he took part in in Rumania, he certainly saw action....

Download Attachment:
240.49 KB

Together with this I got his passport issued in 1935. It has him listed as "Kaufmann" which would be a store owner or seller.

Download Attachment:
246.27 KB

Download Attachment:
239.76 KB

Here's his Weimar era (1925) Führerschein. No, Führer does not mean he is Der Führer, only that he is allowed to drive a vehicle, a drivers licence.

Download Attachment:
244.65 KB

Download Attachment:
223.49 KB

I'm not quite sure what this is, but I believe it is a document allowing him to drive (own?) a specific vehicle. This is dated on the 23rd of february 1940.

Download Attachment:
194.58 KB

Download Attachment:
186.67 KB

Exactly what happened to him I don't know, but the documentation turned up in Norway and the dates I've foud make it possible that he was here. According to the German "Volksbund" (War graves commission) he was killed on the 4th of november 1944, almost exactly 30 years after he was enlisted in the imperial German army. The Soviet Russian army entered northern Norway (in south Varanger where I'm from) in september 1944 from the Murmansk area (Litsa front). From there they pushed southwards while Finland was turning their guns on their former allies. Here's what the Volksbund has listed:

Nachname: Bube
Vorname: Rudolf
Dienstgrad:
Geburtsdatum: 08.09.1894
Geburtsort: Bochum
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 04.11.1944
Todesort: nicht verzeichnet

He is buried in Bochum, his home town, together with other casualties who died in different countries during WWII.

Rudolf Bube ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Bochum-Hauptfriedhof (Bundesrepublik Deutschland) .
Endgrablage: Grab 69

Here's a picture from that war cemetary.

Download Attachment:
23.7 KB

Any additional information or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Edited by - Bayonetcollector on 05/07/2006 5:59:58 PM Big commander
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 05/07/2006 : 8:45:17 PM Yo de mannen! (Flemish for: Hello you men! and as a courtesy to JPS).
Well, Mister Rudolf Georg Bübe as made his way to the cyberspacearchives. BC I can help you but this time dictionaries are needed and it is rather much in that sense that, as you know, this is puzzlework. Half of the handwriting I can read on the spot, it is the other half that often makes things clear as crystal.
Just the first impression in a nutshell: His parents are mentioned, his and his fathers occupation, his iron cross class II, he fought in Romania,was subsequently Jaeger/Oberjaeger/NCO (armament I think). In WWI he was wounded "in the field".
His "driver licenses" are amusing: in 1925 for a motorcycle (Kraftrad), in 1927 handwritten on page two for a heavier vehicle (Klasse 3b, what this was I don't know), but in 1940 for a "remorque" of 165 kilos with "airtires" (dimension of the tires 4,50x17, think this is in inches and probably copied from the tires themselves by the official).
Sorry, had to use the french word for (Anhänger) the english escapes me for the moment. So he did well between the two WW's.
In general nothing spectacular but interesting. I suppose you want me to post more on the "elaborated" topic? Just some patience please.
Ubique fidelis et fortis
(1st recce)
Bayonetcollector

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2006 : 02:25:45 AM Hi Big Commander. Yes, he made his way into cyberspace... Newer info than 60 years I refrain from publishing, but older info is ok is what I think. At this age the info will be a gift to any genealogist looking for this man, without offending the mans privacy as he is long dead. In a sense you keep people "alive" by remembering them, so this is perhaps a step towards immortality for him...?

This is probably not spectacular, one of many stories simply, only unusual in that it is better documented than most. His Militärpass appears to be a treasure trove of WWI information. And it is fun to have pictures and documents showing the actual owner of the objects, in this case the medals.

I know this is much and not easy to read either, so don't feel obliged to spend endless hours pouring over this. There is no demand for a total translation, but anything you might spot that may be of interest is very welcome.
The Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2006 : 03:41:31 AM An "Anhaenger" is a trailer towed behind a vehicle. In this case a trailer with air tires and an empty weight of 165 kg and a maximum loaded weight of 565kg with an open box. This document would correspond with what we in the USA would call a "registration certificate."

See the other thread for more.

Regards.
CCW permits?? We live in Alaska. We don't need no stinkin' CCW permits!!

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bayonetcollector

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/07/2006 : 5:56:21 PM Here are the details not posted in the first post of Rudolf Bube: http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=163724

If any of the excellent language experts on the board, Big Commander or The Expert, would take the time to read and comment on this I'd be very grateful. I love the info you are able to get out of handwriting that's illegible to me...

Here's his Militärpass (Soldiers service book):

Download Attachment:
281.08 KB

Download Attachment:
260.52 KB

Download Attachment:
232.16 KB

Download Attachment:
190.63 KB

Download Attachment:
240.49 KB
Download Attachment:

Download Attachment:
224.39 KB

Download Attachment:
203.01 KB

Download Attachment:
237.77 KB

Download Attachment:
219.95 KB

Here's his Weimar republic (1925) drivers licence:

Download Attachment:
244.66 KB

Download Attachment:
223.49 KB

Here's his passport from 1935 (I've omitted the stamps of lots of journeys through Austria and to Italy):

Download Attachment:
246.27 KB

Download Attachment:
239.77 KB

Download Attachment:
243.95 KB

Here's the "Anhängerschein":

Download Attachment:
194.57 KB

Download Attachment:
186.67 KB

I'm very happy to have found these documents. Any info wil be greatly appreciated.
The Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2006 : 05:03:33 AM As requested, my thoughts on these documents:

He entered service via the "Ersatz Abteilung (Reserve)Wesfaelischer Jaeger Battailon 7" on November 11, 1914. (note: a Westphalian, not Prussian unit)

Father Valentin Bube, mother Anna (Schmalz) Bube
He was Protestant.

He was 1m 73cm tall. Size 29 boots with a 5 width.

It appears that he may have attended Infantry officer's training on April 17, 1916....it does not appear that he was commissioned as an officer.

He may have been wounded in action, although this entry is not clear to me.

He earned the 2nd class marksmanship badge with the Gewehr 98 rifle.

He completed basic training on the Feb 1st, 1916 .

Awarded Iron Cross, 2nd class on January 7, 1917

His conduct was described as "good".

He was transferred to various units within the Jaegers during his service. Listing of various campaigns, essentially the same as the printed list of campaigns glued into the document.

Ended the war as an Oberjaeger (at least according to the cover of the Militaerpass".) I don't see that he was promoted to NCO or officer, although he did seem to receive advanced training (Inf(??) Offz.) in 1916. The promotion section seems to indicate promotion of some sort above Oberjaeger, but I can't make "unteroffizier" (NCO) out of what is written. Did the Jaegers use different rank names?? (any thoughts, BigCom??)

He mustered out of service in Bochum on Dec 2, 1918.

Passport: Blond Hair, Gray eyes.

He appears to have been single when he got his passport, without children.

HTH.

Regards.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
Edited by - The Expert on 05/08/2006 05:27:38 AMBig commander

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2006 : 6:55:01 PM Yo BC and TE! Probably I read something the wrong way about Rudolf being a NCO.
On page 2 of his Militärpass, second written "paragraph", third line:
17/4/16 z. **** Offz ***** armement. I thought about "Unteroffizier armement". Because I am unable to correctly read it I ask TE if he can demistify this line ???
The lines are as follows (to me):
29/3/16 z. überg. Gefreiter (promoted to corporal)
7/4/16 z. überg. Oberjäger (promoted to Oberjaeger)
17/4/16 z. **** Offz **** armement (this is the line I probably misread!)
TE you made a good summary of the man's papers.
Just want to add: his father was a "Roofworker" ("Dachdecker...", think even he was an "independent"). His own profession is mentioned under "Stand und gewerbe" but I'm unable to make something out of it.
BC, if something about these papers specially intrigues you, please ask me or TE, I'm sure we can provide more details if necessary.
Not being a "native speaker" it is easily possible to converse with people on the street, but for this one should know the "technicalities" of the armylanguage.
Because the man was from Prussia, let me confide in you that my mother never spoke about "the Germans" or "les Boches" or "les doryphores" or even "les Schleus", she always talked about "the Prussians".
For those who don't know: a "doryphore" is the the wellknown striped Coloradobeetle who often used to ruin the potatoeharvest, a "Schleu" is a rural habitant of the Atlasmountains in northern Africa. The word "Boche" wasn't very often used in WWII because the "enemy" knew that it wasn't a friendly expression, so people invented some new nicknames.
Ubique fidelis et fortis
(1st recce)
Edited by - Big commander on 05/08/2006 11:28:26 PMBayonetcollector

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2006 : 7:26:46 PM Thanks a lot, both of you! This is excellent. Thanks for your offer, Big Commander, I'll remember that. I believe I owe you both a pint of Westmalle or five...The Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2006 : 8:02:39 PM
quote: Originally posted by Bayonetcollector

Thanks a lot, both of you! This is excellent. Thanks for your offer, Big Commander, I'll remember that. I believe I owe you both a pint of Westmalle or five...

The next time I'm in Europe, I just might take you up on that! We can sit around, loosen up the brains cells with few cold drinks, and read Feldpostkarten and Soldbuecher 'til the wee hours of the morning.

Big Com: What do you make of the fact that the last entry under Befoerderungen is the same as the last entry under Feldzuege??

Regards.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
Big commander

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 05/09/2006 : 10:53:58 PM Hoi TE and BC. The line you mention under Beförderungen means nothing to me, I read: s. *eise 12113 (or is it 1. *eise 1U13?).It's a mystery!
Page 8-9 (My God, what a page to read!): the second paragraph tells about a light wound on his left uppertigh.
More of this page tomorrow, it wasn't easy and I hope to decipher some more words.
Ubique fidelis et fortis
(1st recce)
Edited by - Big commander on 05/09/2006 11:01:07 PMThe Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/10/2006 : 04:19:13 AM OK, Bayonet Collector! This Militaerpass is finally starting to come together for us!

BC's latest excellent translations gave me more to work with and I've been able to make a great deal of progress with translating this further. Thanks, BC!!

Right above "Orden und Ehrenzeichen" where his EK, II is listed, the line above it reads "Gefechte: sehen auf bef[estigt] Kalender", [Combat: see attached calendar], referring to the printed campaign list that is attached into the book.

On May 29, 1916, he arrived at the 2nd Kompanie as a replacement.
On August 14, 1917 during the attack on Grucea[??] Romania he was lightly wounded in the left thigh (thanks for the translation of the "oberschenkel verwundet", BC!!). [This was during the Battle of Marasesti, IIRC]
On August 20th, 1917 he was transferred to the L[??????] Feldlazarett.

On the next page the first line states that he was transferred to Kriegslazarett 128 in Bucharest from September 29 through October 2, presumably for this wound.

A few lines later, it mentions that he was transferred back to the 6 Kompanie, ersatz Bataillon Jaeger Bataillon 7 on June 19, 1918, then on July 16th into the First Kompanie, same unit. The next line details his demobilization in December 1918.

His conduct (Fuehrung) on this page is listed as "sehr gut" and the next line reads "strafen [punishments]: keine[none]". (similar lines to these are seen on the previous page as well.)

The final listing in the two area that we were having trouble reading on pages 2 and 3 read "z.[um] Seiten 12/13", which explains why his "befoerderungen" section and the others on this page were marked out, as they were summarized on pages 12/13.

Pages 12/13 details his demobilization. He was discharged [entlassen] from H.L[Lazarett????Lager???] on November 27, 1918.

It lists his final rank as of 11/11/18 as "Oberjaeger".

After that is lists "Auszeichnungen: [none]", [awards: none] but this was transferred directly from the pages 2/3, and so I think the clerk who wrote this missed his E.K. II that was listed separately.

After that, this next line is not clear to me. It appears to say, in part: Mitgemachte[??] Gefechte:April 4, 1916 to Nov 7, 1918 Kaempfe auf und in der Rumanienstellung. (Combat participated in: battles [during dates indicated] on and in the Romanian theater.

After that it lists his conduct as good, with no punishments.

The final paragraph lists that payments of 50 marks Entlassungsgeld (discharge pay) and a [Marsch??]gebuehr (??travel allowance) of 5 marks "sind bezahlt" [are paid].

"Mitgegebenen Bekleidungstuecke: 1 Bluse, 1 Hose, 1 Feldbinde, 1 Feldmuetze, 1 Paar Stiefel, 1 Hemd, 1 Unterhose, 1 Mantel, 1 [????]"
Translated: "Provided clothing [to soldier]: 1 blouse [uniform tunic], 1 [pair] pants, 1 field scarf, 1 field cap, 1 pair boots, 1 shirt, 1 [pair] underwear, 1 coat, 1 [????]".

It's signed "Ltn d. Res. in stelle Kompanie Fuehrer" [Lieutenant of Reserves, acting company commander].

The last page of the Militaerpass shows Bube's re-registration with his local Bochum police department on his return home. [All Germans to this day have to register their place of residence with the local police department when they move into an area.]

Any more thoughts, BC??

Regards.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
Edited by - The Expert on 05/10/2006 06:01:33 AMBayonetcollector

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/10/2006 : 10:20:40 AM You two are incredible! I'm impressed. This info is very interesting and I'd have been ignorant of much of it if left to try to dechipher it alone. Thanks once again.Big commander

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 05/10/2006 : 11:25:19 AM Very good TE!!! You certainly earned your Westmalles (beware, 12° of alcohol, although there is also a lighter version about 9°, just to separate the men from the boys!)
It saves me the time to type approx. the same version.
However there are a couple of things that I couldn't find out:
Page 1, item 2. : Rudolf's profession ???
Page 1, item 3. : Religion, do we read "ergl(aubig)" meaning that he has the faith? And would that automaticaly mean "Protestant" because there were, for example, extremely few "Katholisher" in Prussia?
Page 8-9, second paragr. I can read as follows:
Am 14/8/1917 im Gefecht nordlich Grucea(?) ... (l. Oberschenkel) leicht verwundet / am 20/8/17 zum Landes(?) Feldlaz(arett) 20, Abt(eilung) Kulturministerium / am 11/6/18 ...
Freely translated: Lightly wounded at his left upperthigh in the battle north of Grucea(?) on August 14 1917 / is on August 20 1917 in the country's fieldhospital number 20 and is there under the Ministry of Culture.
I don't see what the Min. of Culture has to do with a fieldhospital.
Maybe they kept him in the hospital because he was a good entertainer and knew the latest jokes and all Prussian songs?

Ubique fidelis et fortis
(1st recce)
Edited by - Big commander on 05/10/2006 11:30:10 AMThe Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/10/2006 : 7:02:00 PM Big Com:
However there are a couple of things that I couldn't find out:
Page 1, item 2. : Rudolf's profession ???

[Raumungs???}gehilfe {assitant] eviction? cleaning? assistant It should be Raeumungsgehilfe, but it is missing the umlaut.

Page 1, item 3. : Religion, do we read "ergl(aubig)" meaning that he has the faith? And would that automaticaly mean "Protestant" because there were, for example, extremely few "Katholisher" in Prussia?

although it's hard to read, I think it reads "evgl"....evangelisch [Protestant]

Page 8-9, second paragr. I can read as follows:
Am 14/8/1917 im Gefecht nordlich Grucea(?) ... (l. Oberschenkel) leicht verwundet / am 20/8/17 zum Landes(?) Feldlaz(arett) 20, Abt(eilung) Kulturministerium / am 11/6/18 ...
Freely translated: Lightly wounded at his left upperthigh in the battle north of Grucea(?) on August 14 1917 / is on August 20 1917 in the country's fieldhospital number 20 and is there under the Ministry of Culture.

I read "Kulturministerium", as well, although I don't have the slightest idea why he would be assigned to this.....I've been thinking about what the Kulturministerium has to do with this for some time and I have no clues.

Regards.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
Big commander

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 05/10/2006 : 8:23:26 PM Yes, "Raümungsgehilfe" would be correct.
Did'nt even think about "evangelisch", probably because in my region there almost are no protestants (due to the Spanish domination and Inquisition of the 16th century).
The only explanation about "Kulturministerium" I saw (in fact it is more a speculation) was that maybe he stayed for some time in a sort of recovery home where military personnel, that wasn't to severely wounded, could rest and occupy themselves by reading, playing cards etc. for a short time. Such homes existed on the Franco-Belgian side of the Western front. English speaking persons would call it "Welfare" or something like that.
Good news also: I searched for my German-Dutch dictionary and found it in the basement, not far from my fathers Hadrian helmeth! From both I will take the dust off and give them a worthy place. A second searchparty will be needed to find the English dictionary.
Ubique fidelis et fortis
(1st recce)
Edited by - Big commander on 05/10/2006 8:29:54 PMThe Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/11/2006 : 02:59:28 AM BigCom:
The explanation of a Kulturministerium posting being a sort of recuperation posting would make sense given the context, but perhaps others here might know more about German Army practices at the time. BTW, I'm not too sure you need the English dictionary

Bayonet Collector: You are welcome! Deciphering these old documents has been an enjoyable pastime. Got any more??

Regards from Alaska.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
Edited by - The Expert on 05/11/2006 03:00:14 AMThe Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/11/2006 : 03:11:28 AM
quote: Originally posted by The Expert

BigCom:
The explanation of a Kulturministerium posting being a sort of recuperation posting would make sense given the context, but perhaps others here might know more about German Army practices at the time. BTW, I'm not too sure you need the English dictionary

BTW, I have no further ideas what the "Offz." notation might mean.

Bayonet Collector: You are welcome! Deciphering these old documents has been an enjoyable pastime. Got any more??

Regards from Alaska.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
Bayonetcollector

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/11/2006 : 10:50:25 AM Oh, there's more... I'll see how much time I get tonight, I might post some more.Big commander

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 05/11/2006 : 12:36:30 PM Oh, you got more have you! We'll instruct your wife to have a very close look at the bankaccount!
Sometimes (it's rare!) I have a great idea, and maybe (just maybe!)I saw some light on this "Offz" problem of page 2. As one can see there is twice the mention of "Offz". Once on the 5th handwritten line and once on the 9th.
I think we could read these lines in the following way:
Line 5: 9/2/16 z(um) Offz. Asp. Kursus Sennelager
Line 9: 17/4/16 Res. Offz. Aspir. erneuert
"Aspirant" in the sense of "trying to become", maybe the word is used in english, I don't know at this moment!
If this would be what is written, it would mean what follows:
the man followed some course(s) to become a NCO or CO on February 9 1916 and renewed his efforts (because he didn't pass all his exams the first time) on April 17 1916.
I know the place called "Sennelager" from the time I was in military service (Belgian occupation army in Germany in 1965). It's a vast terrain with armybarracks and shooting ranges I now can only dream of.
Just for old times sake: one of those shooting ranges was used to exercise with riflegrenades. We went there one sunny day to exercise with our Fal grenades and there where a lot of beautiful rabbits on the premises and they where choosen as "target". Until this day (fourthy years later) I'm glad the "rabbitarmy" suffered no casualties. For those who think now that I am a "Bambiist", note that the only hunt, for me, as always been the most dangerous game: the man with a rifle.
Those of you who are interested in "Sennelager" (and can read a bit of the German language) can do a search for "Truppenübungsplatz Sennelager" on Google. They will even find an article about special WWII "cloak and dagger ammo" filled with arsenicum.
I would appreciate the view of all above of you BC an TE!

Ubique fidelis et fortis
(1st recce)
Edited by - Big commander on 05/11/2006 12:41:58 PMBayonetcollector

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/11/2006 : 5:32:10 PM Oh, my wife tolerates that... mostly... Luckily I've been selling a number of bayonets and bayonet frogs that I've picked up cheap and got great prices for on ebay, thus financing much of my collection. That rabbit story is a nice one, fun also that you've been in the same camp as where mr Bube trained to become an officer. I found some WWI images of Sennelager on the German historical museums website:

http://www.dhm.de/datenbank/index.html?/datenbank/pk00/pk003383.html
http://www.dhm.de/datenbank/index.html?/datenbank/pk00/pk003384.html

Do you recognise it Big Commander?

The feldpostkarten and pics I've not published come from a 60 pic album that I got at a very nice price, less than a dollar per pic so that's one of the not so many purchases that my wife applauded... I believe a few of those will be interesting, especially one.. but that's for later.
Edited by - Bayonetcollector on 05/11/2006 5:34:36 PMThe Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/11/2006 : 5:53:11 PM It certainly does appear to say "Sennelager". I think the second half of the word before Sennelager" might be "schul", though. I can't decide if the first letter of this word is an "R" or a "K"....I favor the "R". He spent three months there and then returned to the "Jaegerbattl 7"
Your translation of line 9 is correct, but I'm not sure why it ended up in the section for promotions, however.

Regards.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
Big commander

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 05/11/2006 : 9:16:10 PM BC I like the old postcards but the area wasn't as colourful in my days. We only went at Sennelager to shoot with the heavier stuff. Also to Vogelsang with our .30 BMG' and M41 tanks. By the way Vogelsang was one of the operation "Lebensborn" locations where they tried to embellish the Arian race. However, I have something in common with Herr Bübe having been stationed at Arolsen with the "1ste Jagers te paard" (1st Jaeger on horse) in a former SS-kazerne. Unfortunatily, as recce, our horses where Willy's jeeps and I only learned to ride horse with my daugther when she was 12.
So I was a Jaeger like him.
TE, I still think the word is "Kursus" (both "Kurs" and "Kursus" exist, meaning the same thing). I tought also that we had to see a "R" until some "K's" caught my eye on page 10-11.
Line 4 : Vom 19.6.18 6. Komp. Ers. ...
Last line: Strafen: Keine
The last line of his "Beförderungen" could be normal to me in the sense that "Aspirant" is often used in military circles (in my part of the world) to indicate that the person is still studying to become an higher rank. E.g.: an "Aspirant flyer" is somebody who still follows courses to become a pilot or has finished all of his theory courses but hasn't seen a plane on the inside yet. A rank in between so to speak.
So, have to catch some sleep, my regards to the moose in your area!
Ubique fidelis et fortis
(1st recce)
Edited by - Big commander on 05/11/2006 9:26:46 PMThe Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/12/2006 : 01:32:33 AM Moose?? We had a 700kg moose in our yard just two days ago.....He walked right by my bedroom window and paused to look back at me through the window. My son almost walked into him outside!

The next time I see him, I'll extend your greetings to him.

Regards.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
The Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/12/2006 : 7:43:37 PM I've changed my mind on Rudolf's occupation: I think he was a store clerk, as I think the first word is Kauf???gehilfe...store clerk. I think his father was a "Dachwerkmstr"[dachwerkmeister]...master roofer.

More translation:

Second line, page10/11 shows assignment to the "Genesungs" [convalescence] abteilung on October 2, 1917 through June 11, 1918.
Third line: From June 11 thorugh June 19, 1918 he had "Fahrttagen"...travel days to get to his next assignment....looks like a little vacation was built into his schedule here.

"Dezember 10, 1918 zum Deutschen Jaeger. Die sind Feld [gerueckt?]." (transfered to the German Jaegers. They are pulled out of the field??)

Regards.

Download Attachment:
5.42 KB
DocAV

Australia
3278 Posts
Posted - 05/25/2006 : 02:24:11 AM
"aspirant" in several European languages indicates a "trainee", "awaiting confirmation of rank" or "cadet"
in Military terminology. In effect, "one who aspires to..."

The British equivalent is "Acting....(rank)"; it usually applies to junior NCOs proceeding to the higher rank of Sargeant or in this(German) Case, "Unter-offizier" (Senior NCO).

Otherwise, an excellent rendition of a complete "militarBuch"
despite the difficulties of reading traditional Germanic script writing.

Wish there was someone who knew classical Turkish script, to decipher Turkish pre-1928 Archives....those that weren't pulped for papermaking in the 1920s...that is.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics
The Expert

USA
1417 Posts
Posted - 05/25/2006 : 03:40:48 AM Thank you for your kind words, DocAV....we'll be doing some more if BayonetCollector has them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts