Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This one's nice too... The sign says "Stellung Wird Gehalten 19.6.1916". It means "The position will be held. 19th of june 1916."

Lazarett Tauberbischofsheim...on the Tauber river in Baden-Wuerttemberg.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are also, most of them, in hospital uniforms. I seem to recognice some of the faces from the picture of company 10/234 of the 51st reserve division I posted earlier. Do anyone agree these may be the same ones?

It is dated Lemberg the 29th of june 1916. It says: Memento of ????? 57 ???? Arthur Reschke

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one's badly faded, sadly, but I'm posting it because of the reverse...

Big commander
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 04/27/2006 : 12:59:55 PM Hello again Bayonetcollector!
I think the Lazarett on the reverse of your faded photo was in the birthtown of my mother!
I read fluently gothic german when it is printed and agree with The Expert that, when it is written by hand, you are sometimes far from home!
The three lines touched by the stamp (adress of the man who did send it to his parents)are read by me as follows, abbreviations are in full:
Absender: Unteroffizier Heu?er Traütmann
Kriegslazarett "Sint-Truiden" (the parentheses are present)
Abteilung: Fachschule, ???bro 49 ("bro" abbrev. of "büro"???)

I am not 100 percent sure of the 3rd line and the christian name is not familiar to me(it certainly is not "Fritz"
). Sint-Truiden is a small medieval Flemish town, and lies just in the middle between Brussels (Belgium) and Aachen (Germany).
What puzzles me a bit are the two last words of the message to his parents (after "Lazarett") even after a priceless Triple of Westmalle beer my third braincell couldn't figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another faded one, definitely a hospital pic.

It was mailed the 13th of august 1916 from the diakonissenhaus (Convent hospital) of Mitau. It is also marked Mitau-Baltikum. Willi sent it. Mitau is in Latvia, it is called Jelgava now.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure this is a hospital pic, but there's one with a cane, one with an arm in a sling and fingers bandaged and a Red Cross man. Could be a regiment including their wounded, but possibly a group in a hospital.

This one was sent from Hamburg too. It is dated the 26th of june 1917.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure this one is a hospital pic either. Might be soldiers posing with hostesses, cooks etc, but I'll include it here trusting the Gunboards experts to correct me if I'm wrong. I notice a couple of canes though that alone proves nothing as I have frontline pics where canes are used...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts