Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im Graben d. 19 Jan 1916
Liebe Eltern & Mariechen !
Umstehend sende ich Euch eine Aufnahme von einer unserer Weihnachtsfeier.
Durch den Blitzlicht geblendet machen fast alle den Augen zu.
- Alles schläft - echten Weihnachtstimmung !
In den nächsten tagen, wielleicht schon übermorgen sollen wir nochmal auf kurze Zeit abgelöst werden. Wielange ist noch nicht bestimmt.
Ob wir dann ... kommen ... ab november ... (This sentence is still a mystery to me).
Dieser Tage schrieb mir Künle(?) dasz sie Euch ...sichtlich kommenden Sonntag besuchen will. (Think a made a mistake here: "sie" should be "her").
Hat hir Euch geschrieben ?
Wünsche Euch noch Spasz. In Sehnsucht werde ich Euch gedenken.
... Grusz
Euer Rudolf.

From the trenches, January 19th, 1916

Dearest Parents and little Marie!

On the other side [of the card] I am sending you a picture taken at one of our Christmas parties. Because the [camera] flash is blinding, almost everyone has closed their eyes. Everything is sleeping ["Alles schlaeft"...a reference to the second line of the German "Silent Night" lyrics].....True Christmas spirit!

In the next few days, perhaps the day after tomorrow, we will again be relieved [from the line] for a short time. How long is not certain. Whether we will return here or we will not be coming back, nobody knows. Today, Kaule [a lady's last name] wrote me, and tells me that she hopes to visit you this Sunday. Did you write her? I hope you all have fun. I'll be homesick thinking about you.

With the most heartfelt greetings,

your Rudolf.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts