·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bayonetcollector
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/05/2007 : 12:00:04 PM This beautiful old lady came home with me today.

Download Attachment:
261.14 KB

Although the rifle comes from a neutral country there is a very slight chance it has seen action in WWI, I'll explain below.

Download Attachment:
296.87 KB

This is an 1894 Krag Joergensen rifle as used by the Norwegian army up to WWII. These are not hard to get here, but it's not too easy to find a nice one that has not been messed with, sporterized or otherwise changed, or simply ridden hard...

Download Attachment:
258.06 KB

During WWI Norway was described as "the neutral ally" by the British, many Norwegian ships were sunk by German U-boats while carrying supplies for Britain. There were Norwegian volunteers fighting on both sides in WWI, but Norway remanined neutral and mobilized the "Neutrality watch". This rifle was made at Kongsberg in 1915 (most I've seen are 1890s Steyr manufacture), and no doubt went to strenghten the neutrality watch.

Download Attachment:
174.76 KB

In 1916 a German Zeppelin (L20) came to Hafrsfjord (site of a great viking battle) in the west of Norway, near stavanger. It had been damaged during a bombing raid against England and had drifted helplessly, across the North sea. The crew got out, but in the strong wind several attempts to anchor the Zeppelin failed. It drifted towards a populated area and the Norwegian army commander decided the Zeppelin had to be destroyed before it could do damage to homes in the area. The zeppelin was shot by 12 Norwegian soldiers armed with 1894 rifles like this one, it exploded scattering debris over a large area.

Download Attachment:
242.54 KB

After WWI Norway continued using these, they were used in the defence of Norway during the fighting that followed the German invasion on the 9th of april 1940.

Download Attachment:
221.69 KB

These rifles were taken over by the Germans and used for rear echelon troops, they were also used by Vidkun Quislings "Hird", the Norwegian nazis armed forces.

Download Attachment:
227.86 KB

After WWII Norway had loads of captured K98k Mausers, British and american weapons given to the exile forces who were trained and fought outside Norway during the war. Also lots of US weapons came in due to the Marshall plan. So, the 1894s were replaced by more modern weapons. I believe that many of these rifles were sold off to civilians, almost every home had one where I grew up, but most of them were sporterized and used for hunting.

So, though these did not see action in WWI, except for 12 of them destroying a zeppelin, they are old warhorses used in WWII. Lovely rifles, and a pleasure to the eye too.

Here's more about this nice 6.5*55 rifle type: http://geocities.com/kj983260/

All comments are welcome.

Edited by - Bayonetcollector on 05/05/2007 2:16:36 PM Gustaf B

USA
1022 Posts
Posted - 05/05/2007 : 2:45:47 PM Even Sgt Schultz on the TV show, Hogan's Heros, carried one.
Gus
type99
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
164 Posts
Posted - 05/05/2007 : 4:05:06 PM That's a beautiful Norwegian Krag! I am wickedly impressed.

Cheers,
GaryBig commander
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

Belgium
967 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2007 : 6:49:33 PM Never had one but always liked them.Ubique fidelis et fortis
(1st recce)
45Auto

USA
750 Posts
Posted - 05/09/2007 : 2:55:09 PM The US Springfield Krags have smooth actions and are a joy to shoot.

JPS
Moderator - WWI Arms & Militaria Collector

USA
4436 Posts
Posted - 05/10/2007 : 12:00:27 PM Excellent find BC!

In addition to the comments already made, there are confirmed sources in Russia that verify the acquisition of both Dutch Mannlichers as well as Norwegian Krags that were purchased clandestinely by Russia from these two "neutral" countries.

The Russian issue Mannlichers and Krags are two more examples of the broad range of Foreign rifles that were issued on an enormous scale to Russian troops who fought in the frontline trenches on the Eastern Front during WWI.

They are indeed beautifully made rifles with an extremely smooth action. I love the Krags, and yours is a rare example!

Well done!

Warmest regards,

JPS
Bayonetcollector

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/12/2007 : 3:49:39 PM Thanks JPS. I did not know these were sold to Russia during WWI. That is an interesting piece of info. If you (or any other member here) ever come across a photo of a russian soldier armed with a Norwegian Krag I'd be very interested in seeing it. That would be something...dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 05/13/2007 : 5:04:51 PM I have a Russian Museum Document that refers to M1894 Norwegian Krags that were part of the revolutionary period and WWI. Would someone want to translate it? It is dated 1989 and has a table in it refering to captured weapons.
dg13
"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 05/13/2007 : 5:33:04 PM Additional info: the document specifically mentions the Norwegian Krag has ser #131905 and dated 1918.

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Bayonetcollector

Norway
1471 Posts
Posted - 05/14/2007 : 5:51:52 PM Please post it dg13. I could not take on the job of translating it as translation takes better skills than I posess when it comes to the Russian language, but I'd be able to read it. (Could you ask your dear wife to "do the honours" JPS?)dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 05/14/2007 : 8:01:23 PM I believe I sent JPS a copy of it maybe 8-10 years ago. I have a partial translation that may have been done by John's wife--I cannot remember. I will send it to you bayonetcollector if you would like and you can summarize it for all. Could you send me your email address?
dg13
"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Krag

3553 Posts
Posted - 05/16/2007 : 9:22:20 PM Actually "Sgt. Schultz" (John Banner) carried a U.S. Krag in the popular TV show "Hogan's Heros."
"Use up all your ammo and have fun."

Starship Troopers
Robert Heinlein
Edited by - Krag on 05/16/2007 9:24:35 PMGustaf B

USA
1022 Posts
Posted - 05/16/2007 : 11:13:49 PM
quote: Originally posted by Krag

Actually "Sgt. Schultz" (John Banner) carried a U.S. Krag in the popular TV show "Hogan's Heros."

Yes, I am sure this was true, and that the wardrobe dpt had no idea that it was anything other than a "gun" but it helps to think that they knew what they were doing. I doupt that this would be a good place to make the foolish statement that a Krag is a Krag is a Krag.
Gus
OldManKiller
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
142 Posts
Posted - 05/17/2007 : 8:49:17 PM BC, she is definately a beauty. Though I must confess that I know very little about Krags.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts