Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Dad, a WWII Army officer/vet, took this 32 cal semi auto hammerless pistol off a Japanese officer in the liberation of the Phillipines during WWII. :eek: He gave it to me with the original capture papers.

It says AUTOMATIC PISTOL CAL 765 and just below that "UNIQUE" stamped into the left hand side of the slide. On the left rear upper corner of the frame just to the rear of the grip's corner are 3 symbols. (1) A small crowned crest with an X in the middle, (2)the letters P.V., and (3) what appears to be a lion (or a horse) with a long tail standing on it's hind legs. The same lion in on the rear of the barrel as well. The right hand side of the frame bears the number 28766. I assume this is the serial number. The grips were sanded down by an idiot who didn't know the value. :mad: But you can still make out an Eagle in a circle at the top, a crown in a circle in the middle, and appear to be a standing figure with a golf club or bat in an oval at the bottom.

Could this be a pre-occupation pistol?

I would be interested to know what this pistol is as to manufacture, date, value, etc. :confused:

I would also like to find the original or reproduction grips. I've searched a few sites but nothing like these. Not sure if they are the OEM grips or should they be the plastic ones common to WWII French Uniques :rolleyes:

One thing I've noticed is that unlike the field strip instructions, common to this type of pistol, I can't get the slide to move forward far enough to be removed. Something is holding it back. I removed the barrel, pulled the safety latch, etc. But it shots just fne.

I have attached 3 pics. Not very clear but hope it helps.

Thanks, Gerry

·
1,151 Posts
The grips might just be worn! I have seen some Japanese rifles that are well worn on one side just from the way they carried them.

It would be nice if you could post a photo of the capture papers. It's always nice to see the complete package. I have heard that the Japanese officers had to buy their own pistols. But I would think one would have gone with the rest and bought an 8mm round pistol.

Welcome to the board.

·
Silver Bullet member
519 Posts
Gerry

I think you have a Spanish pistol.

1. Your Crown/Shield/X is the stamp for Early Eibar House Proof

2. The P.V. is the stamp for Early Eibar Proof

3. The standing Lion is the Early Eibar Automatic Pistol Proof

There were a lot of Spanish manufacturers & they put different names on the slide. My only book on Spanish pistols is for Astra. Post it on the Spanish forum for Bob in St Louis. He seems to be the expert on Spanish pistols.

Don

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Japanese use of Foreign Pistols

Guys: This is right, Japanese Officers bought their own guns, and ammo....If They were Eta and had no loot, they got whatever they could from the Army, ie: Nambu or what ever they issued for them.

There are no foreign to Japan pistols made in 8mm......

The Germans and Italians sold guns to Japan, and a trading company in Japan imported a lot of pistols before 1941. I believe this is covered on the Japanese weapons sites. The Japanese Army Air Force bought a lot of Spanish 32 pistols with the long grip and extended magazines. They used these in the China Campaign...Most of these were the "Royal" trade mark, with the two horses fighting logo on the grips.

I had a Commercial .30 Luger that was taken in the Phillipines, stuffed into a Nambu Holster, the name of the officer and the division on the holster in yellow paint.. Yukio Sanmii, and Eastern Gem Division.....if you want to know.....

I am sure the trading companies sold many kinds of guns to Japan, as it was a booming market until 12-07-41..

Dale

·
1,151 Posts
Now I have yet to get it but a friend of mine's father who was in WW2 brought back a Garand, Arisaka (both of which I now have) and she says a German P38 that he removed from a Japanese officer.

I have yet to see it but when her father was of a better sound mind he told me about it and said it was to go to her. I'm looking forward to that one as she does not want it. She did say there is markings on the frame.

·
Platinum Bullet member
11,094 Posts
I also have an "Automatic Pistol" in 7.65, and a Spanish collector dated it to the mid - late 1920s. Mine has a connection to Italian troops, so these got around.

I can't help with the take down instructions, I got mine apart & back together, but it was quite by accident.

Mine has a HORRIBLE trigger!! SW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.