Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be considered the standard French sidearm of WW1? I have read that the Mle 1892 was the most commonly-carried, along with Ruby pistols. Were the French still outfitted with Mle 1873 pistols in 1914?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,385 Posts
Most of the books and references I have seen indicate the M1892 St. Etienne revolver as the standard in 1914, I am sure the M1873 revolver was used as a secondary standard arm. Officers may have carried a number of personally owned revolvers of either pattern, but made by civilian firms.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,659 Posts
The standard revolver was the Révolver de Ordonnance Modèle 1892 and semi-automatic pistol was the Pistolet Automatique de 7 millimètre 65 'Ruby'.
Révolver Réglementaire Modèle 1873 'Chamelot-Delvigne' was the standard revolver from the years 1873 to 1892. Many of these were issued during WWI as secondary handgun as handguns were always in need on the front and elsewhere, in fact many of these were still be used by the National Police (Police Nationale formally called the Sûreté Nationale) up to 1962.

Patrick

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently did a swap that involved obtaining a decent Mle 1892. I figured on just selling it, but now I'm wondering if I should hold onto it in keeping with my focus on WW1 arms.

It seems that 8mm Lebel Revolver ammo is out of stock at most online resellers.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing this was a Navy-issue revolver. Despite a bit of light pitting on some of the exterior surfaces, the bore and cylinders are quite decent. It feels like a very well-built revolver. Wonder how hard it would be to find a correct holster....

·
7,659 Posts
I am surprised that Patrick gave such a limited answer. The French also used the Savage M1907 in 7,65 Browning as did the Portuguese.
He asked what was the standard ones ... do you want me to list all the pistols used ?

Révolver Réglementaire Modèle 1873 'Chamelot-Delvigne'; Révolver de Ordonnance Modèle 1892; Révolver de Commerce (Civile) Modèle 1892; Révolvers Modèle 1892 'Espagnol' (Colt and S&W copies); Révolver Modèle 1915 'Belgique'; Pistolets Automatique de 7 millimètre 65 'Ruby'; Pistolet Automatique FN Modèle 1900; Pistolet Automatique de 7 millimètre 65 Militaire Modèle 1907 'Savage'; Pistolet Automatique de 7 millimètre 65 'Star' (Type I et Type II); Pistolet Automatique 'Colt' de 11 millimètre 25, plus a few more.

Patrick

·
7,659 Posts
The anchor was the mark used by the colonials, probably because it was served by the navy.
Most of the anchor marked ones were issued prior to 1900 which showed that these were issued to the French Navy's Troupes de Marine (French Colonial Forces) and after 1900 when they became part of the Army as Troupes Coloniales or commonly called La Coloniale. The Armée Coloniale should not be confused with the famous North African regiments of the French Army such as the Foreign Legion, the Bat' d'Af', Zouaves, Spahis, Algerian Tirailleurs and Goumiers, all of which were part of the Army of Africa.
TheTroupes Coloniale can be divided into:
1.French long service volunteers (or colonial settlers doing their military service) assigned to service in France itself or as garrisons in French West and Central Africa, Madagascar, New Caledonia or Indochina; and
1.Indigenous troops recruited in any of the above, serving under French officers. These were designated as Tirailleurs sénégalais, Tirailleurs malgaches, Tirailleurs indochinois, etc. according to the name of the colony of origin. Tirailleurs sénégalais was the name given to all West and Central African regiments, since Senegal had been the first French colony south of the Sahara.

All colonial troops (la Coloniale or the Colonial) came under a single General Staff. The troupes coloniales were predominantly infantry but included artillery units as well as the usual support services. At various dates they also included locally recruited cavalry units in Indo-China as well as camel troops in sub-Saharan Africa.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
He asked what was the standard ones ... do you want me to list all the pistols used ?

Révolver Réglementaire Modèle 1873 'Chamelot-Delvigne'; Révolver de Ordonnance Modèle 1892; Révolver de Commerce (Civile) Modèle 1892; Révolvers Modèle 1892 'Espagnol' (Colt and S&W copies); Révolver Modèle 1915 'Belgique'; Pistolets Automatique de 7 millimètre 65 'Ruby'; Pistolet Automatique FN Modèle 1900; Pistolet Automatique de 7 millimètre 65 Militaire Modèle 1907 'Savage'; Pistolet Automatique de 7 millimètre 65 'Star' (Type I et Type II); Pistolet Automatique 'Colt' de 11 millimètre 25, plus a few more.

Patrick
That is better, but why did you not post photos as well? Jeez Patrick, you are really falling off on your replys:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts