Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a not well known french rifle dealer anywhere online that would have MAS 36s?

a dealer or company that specializes in MASs? I'm trying to pick one up, and it seems that they don't hit the "normal" dealers hands that often.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,080 Posts
There are loads of them on the gunbroker.com and auctionarms.
The big dealers and companies have long sold these from when they first came into the country a long time ago. You can find them at the smaller dealers and as mentioned on the two auction websites.
Patrick

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are loads of them on the gunbroker.com and auctionarms.
The big dealers and companies have long sold these from when they first came into the country a long time ago. You can find them at the smaller dealers and as mentioned on the two auction websites.
Patrick
damn, i was kinda hoping for a less known place, like how gunsnammo.com sells M39s even though they haven't been imported for a while.

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the auctions places... mostly i see the same rifles being relisted at twice of market price, over and over

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
BCH:

Is it still rumored that West Coast dealers trade them back and forth for $100, or throw them in for free as deal sweeteners? Actually, at the larger shows, when I see one walk in, I give it the time to make the rounds, then I, or one of the boys, will look it over and make an offer. One would be surprised at the abuse the sellers say they have received, even for un-reworked, pre-War examples. Well, they are not 'the thing' of most dealers, who cannot be bothered, or offer insulting prices because they do not care one way or t'other. Many of us bought more than the local market was interested in absorbing, back when they were next to free.

EDIT: It is not like the pre-War rifles are beating a path to us, but we have scored a few, and one that was very nice indeed.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Unless you're a French collector not many regular "shooters" have much interest in the MAS 36's.

The 49/56's in 7.5 are popular in their original chambering because they are semi-auto, but 95% of people at gun shows don't know or care much about those "ugly French bolt action rifles"

I got a like new-refurb for $100 back in 2003, and the same rifles go for 2-300 these days. I have bought and sold several "beaters" for $150 or so, because I don't have much use for a "beater shooter" in 7.5 French.

I still look for original black painted 36's at gun shows but they don't appear very often or if they do the sellers want $500 for them hoping a collector who "needs" one will walk in.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mr. The Man:

Like yourself, I am a contrarian, and that could be why I was drawn to the Mle 1936. We may be more remote than most, for one is lucky to get $150 for a refurbished rifle, in these parts. And , may I ask, when has a collector ever "needed" just one?

I did not consider myself a collector until the 36 crept up on me. I was drawn to these rifles by their accuracy, and only later by their other virtues. The "beaters" are what I esteem, and since we have started to trot them out for our summer surplus shoots, many a K98k or Mosin has suddenly become too valuable for its owner to field. If, as you say, they are perceived as "Ugly", then what better 'ringer' is there to drag to the line. I am nothing to look at myself, old, gap-toothed, with one and one half eyes, and a crippled arm, but I, like the MAS, can still hold; it, better than I.

EDIT: However, both my inherent vanity and the rifle's accuracy aside, there is much to recommend this military shoulder arm to the collector. That they were overlooked gives them an almost Visuvian naivete. The disaster which befell Europe, and the conqueror's indifference, allows a view of this rifle's evolution through drawing and process changes. Most of these are so subtle as to go unnoticed, unless a collection is gathered. But, to recommend the single example, so few other martial firearms will tell one, at a glance, when they were accepted and how they served.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.