Gunboards Forums banner

French P-38

427 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  bayoned
I found this at a gun shop today.

p 002 (2).JPG

p 005 (2).JPG

Right off I knew what it was....A Mauser (svw) P-38 made for the French......And a early one at that judging by the g-block serial suffix and late war Type I Polyamid grips. It even had a WW-2 era waffenamped mag in it.

It also included the Interarms box and a new W. German P-38/P1 holster with a 5/58 marked mag in it.....$450.00 later it was mine. ;)

There were lots of waffenamped parts as well as star marked parts.....Interarms cleverly acid etched the import mark under the lip of the slide.....From what I understand the ATF was not pleased but....Oh well. ;)

p 001 (2).JPG

Also included was a operator's manual and a brief history sheet that's kinda-sorta accurate.

p 008 (2).JPG
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Very nice and great price
Isre ----- I have a svw 45 P.38 that I picked up at a local gun store a few years ago. It has all matching serial numbers but had been chrome plated many years ago and the plating was peeling off in a few places. The barrel is mirror bright and it shot to point of aim at about 20 yds. I didn't like the peeled plating and had it re-finished in blue and parkerized dual tone. After having it re-finished I saw a French star on the right side of the slide. The P.38 is now one of my favorite shooters. Below are some photo's of this piece.

Attachments

See less See more
Isre ----- I have a svw 45 P.38 that I picked up at a local gun store a few years ago. It has all matching serial numbers but had been chrome plated many years ago and the plating was peeling off in a few places. The barrel is mirror bright and it shot to point of aim at about 20 yds. I didn't like the peeled plating and had it re-finished in blue and parkerized dual tone. After having it re-finished I saw a French star on the right side of the slide. The P.38 is now one of my favorite shooters. Below are some photo's of this piece.
LOL....Years ago I bought two of them from a pawn shop that had consecutive serial numbers in the h block but one of them had been buffed no-end and nickel-plated. Even the steel grips were plated. I swear the plating looked like it was put on with a spoon. Hideous.
1srel ------ Thanks for looking and your comment. The plating that was on my P.38 must have been applied by the GI who brought it back after the war. I know the piece has no collector value and I didn't pick it up for that purpose. I had examples of every other code (ac, byf, cyq) with original holsters but no svw 45 example. When I saw the plated one (svw 45) in the local guns store for $400 I had to have it. Everything was correct on it except for the plating, that I didn't like. So after shooting it and playing with it for a year or two I decided to have it refinished to what it must have looked like back in 1945. It came with a soft shell P.38 holster that had no stamp marks on the back but had the name "PFC Hernandez" in ink on the inside of the flap. I now have examples of all the P.38 codes and I'm happy with it.
See less See more
1srelluc,

Major score on your Frenchie ! Super price.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts