Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently aquired this oddball. M44 made from a 1894 Chatelleraut M91. Barrel,floorplate,buttplate and stock match. Looks like a Czech 91/38 but no Czech proofs. Any thoughts? Try to do some pics

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
2,925 Posts
I'll take it!!!!

Actually, looking at the stock on that, with the number, you may be looking at a M91/38 with the bayo still intact. If the bayo were missing, that's what we'd be calling it.

"The M91/38 front sight base is made from a later wide M44 type with the bayonet lug removed. The original pin at the bayonet lug can be seen as an hourglass shape to the left of the first picture. A few M91/38s with bayonet lugs and bayonets still intact have been reported and it is likely that the original intent was for the M91/38 to have an M44 style folding bayonet. The post and globe assembly is the same as the later wide M44 type." _
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9138.htm

Seriously, I'll take it!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,497 Posts
There is a lot going on with this gun that has me baffled. I have never seen the serial stamped on a Mosin stock before. I thought the Soviets reserved that trick for captured Mausers. Now we have all seen M44s that used old receivers, but I have never seen one that used the old barrel. Still, this is a Mosin so never-say-never. I reckon it is a really neat find, and if bubba did it, he did a nice job.

·
Registered
402 Posts
the repairs in that stock look pretty cool, maybe some of the mosin experts will chime, somebody has to know what it is

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Ummmm......yeah! That really looks like its the real deal Holyfield. Appears to be a "Czech" 91/38 with bayonet intact, or 91/44. Super find and a real oddball for sure.

·
Registered
918 Posts
There is a lot going on with this gun that has me baffled. I have never seen the serial stamped on a Mosin before. I thought the Soviets reserved that trick for captured Mausers. Now we have all seen M44s that used old receivers, but I have never seen one that used the old barrel. Still, this is a Mosin so never-say-never. I reckon it is a really neat find, and if bubba did it, he did a nice job.
I have a '44 Tula M-44 with a stock number like that. Have pics somewhere. Think I also have a 91/38 with the horizontal serial on the butt.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,086 Posts
I'd assume the same thing since the eagle is intact. Interesting piece!

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Well, I have seen the Easter Bunny.

Excellent find!!!

·
Gold Bullet member
3,077 Posts
Definitely a neat piece, thanks for sharing.

PAshutr3

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Wow! That is astounding! I've never even imagined such a 91/38 or 91/44 or... whatever.

I do have a two-digit serial number stamped into the wartime stock of a Soviet Tula M44. Any indications there of Czech provenance? Cool stock repair!

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
I have no idea WHAT that qualifies as. It's somewhere between 91/38, 91/59, and 91/44, but yet it's none of the above... I think? You may have just stumbled upon a previously unknown (to us) variation of the Mosin.

Plus it's got the best wrist repair I've ever seen! I'd buy it just for that!

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
I don't know why it wouldn't be a 91/44. We call the carbines made from M91's into M38 configuration - 91/38's, and this is an M91 made into M44 configuration - 91/44 makes perfect sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts