Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a makarov for a long time, and think it is a fine pistol. I have rarely carried it, however. As a risk-adverse person, I have been thinking about the free-floating firing pin. Frankly, the thought of the pin constantly resting against and tapping the primer makes me nervous- primary wondering what it "might" do to a defective and over-sensitive primer. I have not read about this occuring with a makarov, except, of course, when chambering a round with a dirty firing pin channel. I suspect I am being over cautious, but I'd rather be over cautious than the reverse.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
The Makarov has been around 50+ years now. Never heard of this happening in that time, nor have seen in documented as happening. Worry not, too many other things around to stress over.

SlimTim

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Or trust in a time tested and approved SOUND design. I understand your concern, but do not agree with it. Again, I have never heard of any issues at all like that. MANY maks have been produced, and it it were an issue, we'd know by now. I have never heard the mak criticized as being 'unsafe', only that 9x18 is not as powerful as other rounds. I would tell you TRUST it. They are great guns, and will not let you down.....

·
Gold Bullet Member
533 Posts
The light weight design of the Makarov firing pin means that it will work just fine (and safe ) w/o a spring.
Another safe and well known springless firing pin design is the M16/AR15.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts