Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Called him yesterday and the telephone was answered by the recorder, no return call or email.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,138 Posts
I got some e-mail jokes from him today, so I'd guess he's OK.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Called him yesterday and the telephone was answered by the recorder, no return call or email.
No doubt he did not have the time nor stomach to talk to slugs from Alabama.

PS: Regarding the "Southern Belle": No, I will not marry your daughter. Please do not ask again, you whacked her too many times with your ugly stick.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
PS: Regarding the "Southern Belle": No, I will not marry your daughter. Please do not ask again, you whacked her too many times with your ugly stick.[/QUOTE]

ouch

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,205 Posts
Oh, I'm back. Chip, thanks for the concern. Got out of the hospital late yesterday afternoon. Was so happy to be home. I did spend a couple minutes on the 'puter last night trying to clear the in-basket. And I’ve slept about 14 hours since then. The original diagnosis was wrong. Not food poisoning, it was blockage in the intestinal tract and initially gave the symptons of food poisoning. I've still got some interesting follow-up procedures to go through as they try getting a handle on this. Fellows, please don't follow my path and get old.

I aint doing much the next couple days. I'd gone 5 days without eating, so have to get my ginger back. Have, though, already been for a long walk this morn. Wife says if I start my exercise routine today, she's going to make sure I have to go back to the hospital.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your update Fred. Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. Sorry if I appeared intrusive, but I got a bit concerned when you mentioned having food poisoning. I got it once from a bad seafood dinner and was at least a week recovering. Never want to be that ill again.

C/

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only time I was sicker than the only time I had food poisoning was the only time I blew up an early Winchester m-1 carbine!:eek: Steve
Not to change the subject, but please provide details, provided they're no longer too painful.

C/

·
2,205 Posts
Chip, there's not a lot to say. I've got a lot of fancy words to look up on the computer in trying to understand this. When I mentioned the problem last week, I was really ticked at myself for picking which doggy bag I thought was bad and throwing away. In retrospect I thought I should have thrown both away, but that's not the issue anymore. Anyway the only thing to report is that a stomach tube was used to suck everything out for about 3 days. When my legs reduced to the length of another important appendage, they stopped drawing stuff out and reinflated me. Every so often I lose my sense of humor; at least it's back now.

Steve, I know how you felt on the carbine. When I was about 18 years old, a fellow gave me a carbine he'd blown up - busted the right lug rail. I took that ugly sucker home, dismantled it, and then to a friend that ran a machine shop. He said he had a braze so hard it would take the recoil. So, he built it up, and I worked it down by hand to a perfect fit to the bolt recoil lug. I bet I put a million rounds of local army reserve ammo through it. A buddy of mine was shooting his one day, and the bolt flew out and over his shoulder. No damage to the gun. I don't think I understand how that happened. Maybe if I took one of mine apart, I could figure it out.

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
O.K. Maybe I can get through it. It was about 1975 and I had the carbine I had bought used at a local Western Auto store. I never knew all the specifics about all the variations of carbines but mine was a Winchester flat bolt with a bayonet lug so it wasn't one of the Real Early ones. Anyway, I was too poor to afford to shoot it much unless I reloaded. I'd save the cases I could find and found I could only get about three loadings from a case before they stretched too much. Sometimes I'd get a case head separation, which should have been telling things to me but.... Hey, I was 25. I was learning about headspace from the school of hard knocks. Sometimes a case would stretch far enough that the case mouth would bottom out in the chamber without allowing the bolt to rotate into the locked position. I'd pull those bullets and save the components. I was planning to buy a case trimmer at some point in the vague future. I thought I'd use those long cases then. So, one day I was out squirrel hunting with it, which it was plenty accurate enough for, and apparently had a case which was just exactly the right (or wrong) length. The firing pin on a carbine shouldn't be under the hammer unless the bolt has rotated to locked but there is evidently one tiny fraction of some measurement where the hammer can touch the firing pin with the locking lug partially engaged. I shot it that way, hadn't actually looked at the bolt or I may have noticed.When you shoot an unlocked rifle, things happen.

The bolt was cracked diagonally across from the extractor well to the outside and was at the back of the receiver angled upward at about a 45 degree angle. The operating rod was bent and the receiver was bulged outward. Nothing broke and there was no shrapnel so my only injury, aside from ringing ears, was dehydration from all that crying.

I eventually had a new Universal receiver, op rod and bolt installed, or I should say maybe that I was able to re-use the stock, barrel and trigger group. That barrel still is very accurate. My daughter has that carbine now. I gave it to her to minimize the self loathing I'd experience every time I saw it and remembered what it had once been.

Lessons can be painful, but that kind are easily remembered.

Steve

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ordeal it's no fun at all I went through the same thing about two months ago myself .It started out like I had the flu and ended up in the hospital for three days and another three days after I got out before I started to feel normal.

·
2,205 Posts
Ouch, Steve! And, Bob, sorry to hear you had to go through this also. Somehow, I made it through an event so similar to yours last year. I convinced the doctor that I'd stretched stomach muscles and rested it, wiped out my fall hiking trip just like this one. We were supposed to start out in Va. on the Appalachian Trail the day I went into the hospital.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fred; Sorry to hear of your health problems. You know "Got out of the hospital" is my line. Glad to hear you're coming along well enough to leave the hospital and will remember you in my prayers. They haven't passed a law against God and collecting yet have they? I'm glad you deceided to get old as I would have missed a really great friend. Take care. Ken.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,138 Posts
Ditto all the above! Fred, we all pray for your complete recovery.
Now, I just hope those Alabama & Mississippi bumpkins don't bring any gastrointestinal diseases to this year's Phoenix Show! Sickest I've been in adult memory!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to hear about your ordeal it's no fun at all I went through the same thing about two months ago myself .It started out like I had the flu and ended up in the hospital for three days and another three days after I got out before I started to feel normal.

Sorry to have missed you at Springfield last Saturday. Japanese-wise, nothing of real consequence was there, except for a lot more T-99 rifles than I can ever recall seeing before. Drop me a line if you want to get together at the Dec. 8th-9th Show.

C/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts