Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going through my ammo trying to decide what to sell and what to hang on to. I just have too much stuff and not a lot of room. If I had somewhere where I could could put it all out (a room maybe) I would probably keep it all. I just don't have the space, so I'm thinking about running a bunch of it through an auction.

This Fraser Velox was in a collection of ammo that I purchased and I really don't know a lot about it. The company, DanL. Fraser & Co., went out of business in 1919. A couple of other companies bought the right to use the Fraser name. There is a company in Edinborough that still manufacturers firearms under the Fraser name. Fraser was a sort of botique/high end manufacturer and their firearms bring a fairly high price today.

I have a fairly good library, but it seems like, I never have the "right" book. Have several questions, I thought someone here might be able to answer. In any event, I thought you all might enjoy seeing the Fraser ammo. I not sure what "Velox" means. Is this something to do with the striations in the bullet? I would have to think this stuff is sort of rare. It is in such good condition, I wonder if anybody ever reproduced it? Probably very few rifles chambered for it, but then again what will they not fake/reproduce? Finally, I would think this is somewhat valuable. When I look on the net, cartridge box prices seem to be all over the board. I wonder what it is really worth? Guess the answer to that one is what ever someone is willing to pay.

Any help/info on this would be appreciated.

SC Wood

·
Registered
397 Posts
Velox

I'm not an expert, but here is what I think. Velox is Latin for: quick, rapid, swift, fast. My impression from memory is that just about all the cartridges Fraser chambered rifles for were called "velox" e.g. .256 Fraser Velox, .303 Fraser Velox. If memory serves me correctly, I think your 400/360 was loaded with a bullet which was smaller in weight than what was usually used. I think I remember 289 grains for the Fraser and 314 grains for the Westley Richards version of the same cartridge. Maybe it was called "velox" because it was a higher velocity loading than the usual. I don't think Velox has anything to do with the oblique cut split bullet Fraser was famous for. But I could be wrong.

I don't know how rare a Fraser box of 400/360 might be. I do not think the 400/360 cartridge itself is that rare. I'm looking right now at Westley Richards 400/360 cartridges for sale for $25 to $30 a piece. I wouldn't pay that much but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. Sold that way, ten would be $250 -$300... with then a premium for the box? Griffin & Howe have a Westley Richards box for sale for $400. I believe that a $400 price is high for a Kynoch or Westley Richards box. There is for sale on an auction site a drab Kynoch partial box of 6 with a starting price of $25. That's $4 a pop if it sells for $25. I think your Fraser box is probably much more rare than any Kynoch box of Westley Richards 400/360. Your cartridges are worth more than $4 apiece certainly. Closer to the $30 a piece price. Maybe a price of $30 a piece and $400 for the box would be a good "low" or "floor" price at which to begin to value your cartridges. I don't know what your "high" or "ceiling" price might be. I kind of doubt your box would be worth $1000, but extremely rare boxes of extremely rare cartridges have sold that high in the past. As you said, prices are all over the board.

To sum up. Low price I'm seeing for individual cartridges is $4. High price for individual cartridges is $30. Low price for a box is $25 (partial) and high price is $400. I think you ammo and box is probably rare (more rare than Westley Richards) and should not sell for a price below the high price of $30 a round and $400 for the box. Now if a real expert will weigh in and set us straight....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same box of cartridges in my collection but they do not have the side panel label and the box is marked Daniel Fraser instead of DanL Fraser. The bullet is the special Oblique Ratchet design. The handwriting on the box is exactly the same hand as the person that wrote on yours. I am trying to find out if this box of mine might be after 1919 and your just before that time. The only difference in constuction of the box is mine is stapled on the outside sleve and yours has a rivet. The constuction of the tray is the same as yours.

·
Administrator
9,368 Posts
Fraser "Velox"

Velox: Latin for "Fast, swift, rapid, "with velocity". as in, "Sagitta velox est" (the arrow is fast)

Regards, Doc AV

AV Ballistics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts