Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I just picked up my first FR8 and I had it apart to clean it, and give the stock a good oil scrub. My problem now is that I cant get it back together right. When it comes to putting the trigger guard back in I just cannot get the rear screw hole to line up properly with the reciever tang. The front screw goes in and lines up properly with no problems, but the rear screw hole seems to be slightly canted or angled and will not line up properly to screw into the bottom of the reciever tang. Ive tried tapping the trigger guard with a rubber mallet to try and get it to move forward slightly but no joy there.

Are there any tips or tricks to help me here? Am I missing something? Is this common for this to happen with these rifles? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
972 Posts
You probably already know this:
Don't tighten the front screw down all the way before trying the rear.
Try to get the rear screw started first, then without tightening it down, start the front screw. Bring them down a few turns each at a time, then once they are snug, tighten the front one up tight, then give the rear screw a good turn.
Is there any way to post a picture of what you're describing?
Also, if the follower is binding, or the magazine box isn't just right, those could cause things to not line up properly.
Remove the floorplate and follower from the trigger guard assembly until things are tightened down, then reinstall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Im really beating my head on the desk with this one! wvchuck, I tried your suggestions and still cant get it reassembled. I wish I could take pictures but the there is just no way to get proper lighting to show what Im talking about.

With the trigger guard installed, if you are looking thru the rear screw hole you can see the bottom of the reciever tang, and you can see that it is not lined up properly, there is a gap that is keeping the screw from dropping in and lining up then screwing down. The front screw lines up and drops in easily with no forcing and then screws down with no problems. I did know about not tightening the front screw all the way before the rear one! The rear screw however is a different story. It will start to go in easily but then I have to pretty much force it down the rest of the way. It just does NOT line up with the bottom of the reciever to be able to start tightening it down. Im really frustrated with this as I just bought it and havent even shot it yet, and now I cant get it back together! Grrrrrrrr.

Sorry, had to vent at the end. Hope my explanation is a little better this time! Oh and Chuck I will get payment out to you on monday for the wire wrapped enfield! Thanks for the info so far, anything else you can think of Im all ears!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Don't force it....something might bend or break.
It sounds like something isn't lined up correctly between the receiver and the floorplate.
Sometimes, the magazine box will do that as you're putting the triggerguard assembly back into place.
Let me get an FR-8 out and take it apart and see if I can get it to do the same thing and I'll see if I can figure it out and write a better description of putting it back together.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think I got it to duplicate what you're writing about.
Make sure the back of your mag-box is in the right position in relation to the action.
You are right about trying to get a picture of things.....

If it doesn't get in just the "right spot" it'll make the rear screw hole " almost there" but not quite. Also, is the pillar tube in the stock for the rear screw? If so, good, if not, that should give you some wiggle room as far as letting the screw line up with the receiver.

I would suggest removing the action from the stock, put the trigger guard in place first, then drop the action into the stock second, then get the action screws started (do the rear one first) and work from there. Good luck!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give that a try! Thanks Chuck, I will let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just start both bolts and snug them up a couple of turns -- each -- at a time.

Unless the stock or receiver were somehow magically altered while the rifle was apart it'll all go back together.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, finally SUCCESS! wvchuck I followed your suggestion about taking the action out and putting in the trigger guard first, well I did that and noticed that the rear bolt dropped in alot easier, had to put some downward pressure on the rear bolt to get it started but it finally did and away we go! Thanks to all who replied and especially you wvchuck for replicating my problem and then coming up with a solution to fix it! Just remind me next time I go saying I want to take apart my FR8 not to do that ever again! Thanks again!

·
Registered
972 Posts
"Don't take it apart again" LOL!!
That's how we learn about them and when we get stuck, come here and ask about how to get it fixed!
Here's a quick shot of one of the FR-8's I picked up a few years ago in a trade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts