Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked one up a few years ago and just got around to shooting it

For those who have never fired one I was shocked at how decent it was on the shoulder. For being such a short and light rifle in .308 I expected it to be pretty punishing

No issue on a 12" gong at 200 yards with the sights

Does anyone happen to know if the rear sight holes change diameter as it is rotated? It wasn't obvious to me but my eyes are also awful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't get mine to rotate for the fourth alleged position, might just be gummed up. Who knows how long it sat but the rifle is in real nice condition. Arsenal repair at the wrist and a few dings.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will check mine but I believe to go to the fourth one you have to go back to 100 and go clockwise. I believe it is anti clockwise to go out to 300.

Rear sight is only for range. The front sight is for adjusting impact at given range. It it screws in and out to raise or lower impact. The weird thing is that the front sight post is not centered on the drum. So when you adjust it up or down it will change impact to the sides.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 7 is a cool little rifle; a little trimmer than the '8 due to its smaller action, turned down bolt handle, and straight grip. You prolly know the '7 was based on the earlier 93/95 pattern Mauser so is arguably not as strong as '98 patterns. I've owned several of both and never had a problem, but you can get into an Internet fist fight over the strength of these actions.
As noted above the open aperture is for 100 meters; rotate the disk clockwise for 200 and 300 meters. Rotate it counterclockwise from the open aperture for 400.
You prolly also know about the nifty cleaning kit tube housed below the barrel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen a great deal of internet pissing over the strength of the action. At the end of the day it's a Mauser. Just won't shoot really high pressure loads in it but that's a safe idea for any old rifle really.

Wasn't aware of the cleaning kit tube but I'll check that out. I do like how it looks with a CETME bayonet

I'd like to get an 8 since I've shot this. Very handy little rifle. I might use it as a deer gun next time I get to hunt. I paid very little for this 7, I want to say something like $300 about 2 years ago. I imagine prices are up like everything else...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I understand. I have the FR-8 on lay-away at my local shop. Comes with a sling and bayonet. Took my FR-7 out to the range and had no issues with 7.62x51 Nato ammo. 147 to 150 grain rounds. I find it funny how people will argue about the strength of the action with no facts. I have seen the manual in Spanish even stating the rifle fires 7.62 Nato. It was after all a rearguard rifle after the reserves received the Cetme.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I always point to the Springfield 1903 when people worry about .308 in a 93/95 model action. The springfield was copied from the spanish 93 and its receiver diameter is roughly the same diameter. People shoot 30-06 out of those all the time and never say anything.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I found these cartridge pressure figures on Masterton's old Spanish Mauser website (http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome.html) which unfortunately is no longer operative:

46,000 psi CUP - 7mm Mauser (SAAMI maximum)
46,800 psi CUP - 7.62 CETME (from the manual)
49,700 psi CUP - 7.62 NATO (from the manual)
52,000 psi CUP - 308 Winchester (SAAMI maximum)

Although 308 and 7.62 NATO work at higher pressures, the difference between the original 7x57/7.62 CETME rounds and the NATO/308 rounds is not that significant. Will the higher pressures deform bolt or receiver? Possibly, but apparently Guns & Ammo did a test to see how vulnerable these FR7s were to higher NATO/308 pressures and eventually blew up their test rifles at +90,000 psi. I can't lay hands on the G&A ref right now but I am sure somebody else on GB has it and can share?

The above said, one things seems to come out in discussions about the FR7 and M1916: the metallurgy on these rifles was inconsistent over time and between manufacturing sites. In addition, many M1916s were well used before being refurbed to an FR7. So my advice is to load light, shoot often and enjoy these cool little carbines!

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sorry - hit the post button before deleting the above pic: that blown receiver apparently was caused by improper reloads being used in an FR7! See discussion at

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found these cartridge pressure figures on Masterton's old Spanish Mauser website (http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome.html) which unfortunately is no longer operative:

46,000 psi CUP - 7mm Mauser (SAAMI maximum)
46,800 psi CUP - 7.62 CETME (from the manual)
49,700 psi CUP - 7.62 NATO (from the manual)
52,000 psi CUP - 308 Winchester (SAAMI maximum)

Although 308 and 7.62 NATO work at higher pressures, the difference between the original 7x57/7.62 CETME rounds and the NATO/308 rounds is not that significant. Will the higher pressures deform bolt or receiver? Possibly, but apparently Guns & Ammo did a test to see how vulnerable these FR7s were to higher NATO/308 pressures and eventually blew up their test rifles at +90,000 psi. I can't lay hands on the G&A ref right now but I am sure somebody else on GB has it and can share?

The above said, one things seems to come out in discussions about the FR7 and M1916: the metallurgy on these rifles was inconsistent over time and between manufacturing sites. In addition, many M1916s were well used before being refurbed to an FR7. So my advice is to load light, shoot often and enjoy these cool little carbines!

This is what I was able to find.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have seen a great deal of internet pissing over the strength of the action. At the end of the day it's a Mauser. Just won't shoot really high pressure loads in it but that's a safe idea for any old rifle really.

Wasn't aware of the cleaning kit tube but I'll check that out. I do like how it looks with a CETME bayonet

I'd like to get an 8 since I've shot this. Very handy little rifle. I might use it as a deer gun next time I get to hunt. I paid very little for this 7, I want to say something like $300 about 2 years ago. I imagine prices are up like everything else...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ahhh!!

The exploding Spanish Mauser theme again. It's like an internet legend that won't die.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.