Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an fr-8 for 300 bucks at my local gun shop. the date was 1952 the bore was Pristine almost not issued good. I was just wondering if you guys could spare some advice or info on markings.....ect?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,462 Posts
these were converted from regular Spanish M-43 rifles in 8mm.Marked La Corunna with spanish eagle and date.Thats about it.When you shoot it,be carefull that you dont get your thumb pinched between the straight bolt and the Cetme style rear sight. Thats about it.Good price at 300.00 There are correct FR-8 slings on gunbroker and ebay or check with Rick Reich who is a sponsor.Now you need the 1916,the FR-7 and all that.It will not end.Mausers can be just as bad as Moisn Nagants.Back when I got started the more books I bought and read the more Rifles I wanted to have.Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mausers can be just as bad as Moisn Nagants? If you mean the addiction of collecting I've been cured of that. Im married...so the "domestic general" keeps me pretty well curbed in the enthusiasm department although she loves guns just as much as i do. She actually returned a yugo sks i got her for three mosins! thanks for the info it came with a matching bayonet as well.

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
It's a sweet carbine to shoot. I got mine last fall and love it, also started looking for Spanish mausers to go with my Czech VZ.24's I collect. Damn I hate this hobby always looking for another rifle to buy... I have been shooting mine with mil surp ammo as there was a rumor re: do not shoot commercial in them (FR7 & 8) especially the FR7.

·
Registered
109 Posts
FR 8 is a large ring Mauser,plenty strong for commercial ammo.FR 7 is a smallring Mauser,suposedly not strong enough for repeated firing of commercial ammo.I have an FR 7 so I have been researching a lot.It is said that with all small ring Mausers a person shouldn't shoot ammo over46000 or 47000 cup.So,that limits us to military surplus or lightened handloads.
I have also read that the FR 7 and 8 are very accurate rifles and real nice to shoot.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,462 Posts
The .308 vs the 7.62 Nato is an endless subject.Along with "soft" Spanish Mauser receivers.The FR-8 is fine to shoot.I wont go into FR-7 or the 1916 conversions.For mor info on the 308 conversions of non 98 Actions check out the thread on the Chilean 95 conversions.There is plenty of documentation on Springfields,Enfields,Krags that have failed but I belive so far no Sensational stories of Spanisn 1916's blowing up.Thousands of them were broght in from Century and Samco.They have tons of Lawyers for the CYA.I cant belive that the USA is full of Spanish .308 Mausers that have been sitting unfired in Closets and gunsafes for 20 years.Crap I went into the 1916 subject anyway!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you all very much all of you. I wish you well on your pig hunts and i wish i could join you. Mine will be a home defense shtf rifle especiualy after i figure how some people put a cetme mag on one any info? Btw betonfahrer mausers.....more....mausers....need...mausers...hahaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.