Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just picked up a very good 1872 Frühwirth carbine (currently in bits in the workshop so no pics yet). While it certainly looks like a Kropatscheck, the mechanism to actuate the lifting spoon is actually nothing like it.

The bore is mint so my question is how to make 11.15x36R since sourcing it from the US is not possible. What would be a more readily available cartridge that could be fireformed?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
the 11,15x36R have more or less the same case as the 11mm Montenegrin, iirc
remember an article in a gun magazine when 454 casull brass was used in the revolver... of course only brass! the case is a little bit undersized on the base but stand blackpowder pressure very well as you can imagine.
if not your cup of tea take a look a 7,62x54R or 8x56R brass.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,750 Posts
Well done Fabian! Great find.

For the 11,15x36mmR I've had excellent success with cut down and fire formed 7.62x54mmR brass. I never thought about Casull brass? Interesting thought. I'll have to check it out as I have several hundred rounds of once fired Casull brass. I'll look up the details of the loads I've used when I have a chance.

The cartridge is very mild and quite accurate.

Photos of the Fruwirth please!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assembly and description

So here are the insides of the beast:

Bare bones of the receiver:

Lifter in place with push rod pressed down. The lifter spring is omitted in the pic, but it biases the lifter spoon upwards. The rod pushes on a flange on the right side of the lifter

Same pic but with the lifter locking bar installed and springs loosely screwed in.

The locking bar has an L-shaped slot which works with the lifter flange to lock the lifter down

....and release the lifter up. The locking bar is biased forward and is retracted only when the bolt is pulled fully back. A large screw pin goes into the top left hole in the picture protrudes into the bolt channel to couple the movement of the bolt with the movement of the locking bar.

Underside with all springs in place. Note all the springs are blade springs so relatives easy to replace.

The extractor is in the shape of a long blade spring

The rear is shaped like a claw which is biased against the bolt body. When the bolt is near the end of its rearward travel, the claw enters a groove in the bolt body and moves rearward with the bolt to extract the case.

The rear claw has to be retracted away from the bolt channel in order to remove the bolt from the action. The screw above the extractor on the picture has this sole purpose. The screw has a slot in its tip such that, with the bolt in a forward position, the screw is turned clockwise, which causes the slotted end to capture the rear extractor head to the and clamp it away from the bolt channel, thus allowing the bolt to be removed (the locking bar screw also needs to be removed too).

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bolt is quite standard and actually quite close to the Chassepot/Gras

The selector slide simply blocks a hole in the bolt. This hole lines up with the lifter pin so that if the hole is blocked, turning down the bolt will push the lifter down such that the carbine operates as a repeater...

....if the hole is left uncovered, the lifter pin will enter the hole when the bolt is turned down and will not be pushed down, such that the carbine operates as a single shot.

The long slot on the underside is for the tip of the locking bar pin.

Bolt from the top. The slot seen here is what catches the rear extractor claw when the bolt is pulled back

Bolt inserted

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tube magazine is quite simple

The follower is a wooden plug with a brass collar tacked around the head. It is prevented from popping out of the tube by two inward dents in the mouth of the tube

The tube is retained at the front end in a slot above the hole for the sling loop screw and at the rear in the receiver

It is keyed in and prevented from rotating.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rear sight is graduated from 1-6, which I guess are 100-600 Schritt?

General views and markings:

Made at Ferdinand Früwirth's plant which I believe made the first 4000 carbines.

Bore is mint with 6 shiny grooves.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Great find Fabian! Frühwirths are rarer than Dreyses over here. Stephen Joan has one for sale in mint condition right now, although it's a little, ahem, out of my price range!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are rare everywhere. I paid way less than the price listed by Stephen Joan.

Having read about the reputed fragility of the mechanism I was pleasantly surprised by the robust mechanism. The extra tug necessary on the bolt when fully open to release the lifter up is a little weird but otherwise I see no flaw in the system.

·
Administrator
9,604 Posts
The Fruwirth Carbine was designed and intended for use by the A-H Customs and Border Services, and Possibly some "Extra Korps" use in the Army and Navy, and for Public order by the Gendarmerie. That is why it was chambered for a "Carbine" type Lighter Cartridge.

Check the Chamber dimensions...they should be equivalent to a "Short" Version of the 11x57R Werndl Cartridge, with a commensurate Lower Load and lighter Bullet.

Nice find...one only reads about Fruwirths in Books, as so few were made (in a relative sense).

If you need shell cases, we can make them.

Mes meilleurs salutes,
Doc AV

AV Ballistiques Service Tecniques
Brisbane Australie

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the additional info on use. Your offer of making cases is very kind but now I need an import permit for brass and the cost of the permit is not worth it for a handful of cases. I have a line on some 7,62x54R to convert luckily so I will get there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts