Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While travelling a different route I stopped by a few places I hadn't been to in a while.
I did no purchasing, as I am trying to regain some $$ for the Knob Creek trip coming up this week.
Anyhow, let me get some feedback:
Matching Romanian SKS, no bayonet, no cleaning rod $150
Matching Yugo M59 with Fleur de Lis carvings on the stock and handguard, no cleaning rod, no bayonet, $150
A different shop, M59/66, tritium sights, all matching, missing the cleaning rod (what is it with people & no cleaning rods???) nice bore, near flawless stock, $170.
Any of these worth pursuing?
I've got one of each already, but knowing that Romanians and 59's are less than easy to find, I wondered if it would be worth it to maybe offer a 2-Fer price and hunt down the right blades and rods.
Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The first two should have been snatched up on sight.

You are double lucky if they are still there when you get back to that shop.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
The Romanian would be a good score..what year production? Also the Yugo M-59..how is the bore? Both might be good for some trading later. Been to Caskeys lately? Maybe a year since my last visit.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to pursue these further, the shop is a "cash is preferred" kind of place and I didn't have the cash. If I tried plastic, there would be no wrangling on the price.
Are the bayonets hard to find for these? I would want to get correct ones, and that would be the rub on picking these up if they are difficult to obtain.
The Romo was 1958, I think, with an ER or EF prefix.
The bore needed cleaning, but no crust or rust.
The Yugo was a little nastier looking in the bore, but didn't look dark or corroded, also there was a tag stuck to the stock that had "Does not eject cases" written on it.
Cone,
I haven't been to Caskey's since last summer when they got a little worked up about accepting my C&R license. I was calm and polite, just asked if they would.
They said NOOOOOOoooo! Your license says not for dealing, and if we accept it, then we'll get in trouble.
I'm not dealing, I'm collecting.
It was to no avail, my C&R license was no good as far as they were concerned.
I haven't been back since. Their lack of proper information makes me less inclined to want to spend money there, but I went ahead and picked up the 1954 ATF Turk Mauser. :)
It gutted me me to fill out the 4473 for it, but I hadn't seen an ATF Mauser in real life until then, so I did the form & background check :(
And finally, how is it that stuff like this shows up when I am low on funds?
Why do I even make stops like today when I know I don't have money in my pocket?
It's been nice to have this week off, but I wish I had the play money to follow through with the stuff I found.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm seriously thinking on it, but it'll absolutely kill my Knob Creek trip if I do.
I'm planning on getting to the 'creek next weekend, then coming back to get those SKS's if there's nothing to get at the show. If they're gone by the time I get back, then they're gone. Or I could go see about a layaway or put money on them. I'll check on some options in the morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts