Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been looking for a M91/38 for a while, today I find one in a batch of M91/59's, I get back to the shop and take a closer look, it is a Chatellerault! Matching numbers, cut down M91 stock Oh:)
Details:
Barrel and receiver have Chatellerault markings
Bolt parts are Izhevsk except cocking knob is Sestroryetsk
Floorplate is Tula marked
Stock bands are Izhevsk marked
All numbers are stamped matching
Stock is cut down M91, no cross bolt and Bayo relief has been cut in (M44 style)
Barrel has rust pitting and markings are light, appears to be dated 1892
Bore has well defined lands, dark with some light pitting. (not counterbored)
Cannot locate any refurb markings....

http://s414.photobucket.com/albums/pp222/Mr_beeb/mosins/

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Nice! Where's the pics? :D

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Awesome find. I assume it is an actual Chatellerault receiver and barrel. If so, you have a great find.

Pictures, man, pictures!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am picking up an Ishevsk 91/38 tomorrow with a stamped matched bolt and receiver. The thing I noticed on the pics that I have of it is that it has a circle C stamped on the top of the safety, which as far as I know, is a Chatellerault mark. I haven't seen a 91/38 in person before but it has the same circle T and other circle on the receiver and the star on the barrel which I assume are some kind of Czech refurb and proof marks.

Nice find by the way.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,931 Posts
MrC, I think that after looking at the pictures I'd call that a 91/59. The 91/38 would have the original curved M91 rear sight. The one you have has what appears to be a M38/M44 rear sight base. Still confusing because a M91/59 ought to have the sight base of a 91/30. If it was in with the 91/59's, it probably came in with them and was rearsenaled as a 91/59.

What does the import mark say?

Very unique rifle. May be hard to impossible to find more.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
No, it's a 91/38. A 91/59 would have had a 91/30 rear sight. This Chatellerault is a 91/38 in an M44 stock.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.