Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
You are correct. I have a few Finn ammo pouches that came with these wooden blocks too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive had this for several years,but just now posted about it.
Just some more fun items you find while collecting:D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
looks like there might be a couple of broke off firing pins in that block.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
I found the same type of take down blocks and whittled twig pegs in Turkish pouches before.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
What's the deal with the bolt take down block? I don't see the purpose of using one to take donw a Mosin bolt? I want to know, because years ago I got a like new VKT M39 for a ridiculously good price. The finger groove on the right side has many firing pin impressions. It was always an eyesore, but one of the best values I ever got on a Finn. I always wondered why someone did that to a like new rifle.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
What's the deal with the bolt take down block? I don't see the purpose of using one to take donw a Mosin bolt? I want to know, because years ago I got a like new VKT M39 for a ridiculously good price. The finger groove on the right side has many firing pin impressions. It was always an eyesore, but one of the best values I ever got on a Finn. I always wondered why someone did that to a like new rifle.
The purpose of the block is to keep soldiers from using the stock to take down the bolt and making all those ugly dents you mention.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would assume you still need something to bear down on while you unscrew the firing pin so that the whole thing doesn't fly into the woods when the spring gives. Hence the flat piece of wood. I would imagine being in the deep forest on patrol with no firing pin spring because you jettisoned it into the snow and couldn't find it would be mildly frustrating.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And it could be only one guy in the squad had one,since it fits into one pouch or a half of one.You don't want every man down 15 rounds;):eek:
I also don't think you want to use a rock or the dirt to re-install your pin:(

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hmmm, I've taken bolts apart countless times and never needed a block of wood. I never thought the spring pressure was that great anyways. Guess everyone has their own way of doing things.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had a few get loose on me before I got the hang of it.

For some reason I didn't think about using the wood to put it back in, but that probably makes even more sense and would make it easier. I'm sure you could use your knee instead, but perhaps it is the simple comforts in life that make the difference? Perhaps they would do this in a hurry and this makes the process more speedy in combat situations?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts