Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Wow, that is one cool artifact. Hard to believe how the photo held up after 60 years in the damp tropical island.
Years ago, I went scuba diving in Palau, but never thought to hop over to Peleliu and to some cave exploration. Do you just machete your self into the vegetation ?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that is one cool artifact. Hard to believe how the photo held up after 60 years in the damp tropical island.
Years ago, I went scuba diving in Palau, but never thought to hop over to Peleliu and to some cave exploration. Do you just machete your self into the vegetation ?
Actually, I use aerial archival photos showing Peleliu's denuded ridges for orientation and exploration. Otherwise would be impossible to get a bearing and systematic search. I've been lost more that once and you wouldn't want to end up spending the night in those ridges! The spirits still call out....

-eric

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Yikes, I would not wan't to camp out there in the jungle either.....
You do a fascinating job of exploring the islands. I would love to one day do something similar, perhaps tag along with you !

·
Registered
208 Posts
Eric, great cave find at an actual battle site.Wouldn`t want to tangle a--holes with that
bunch,Brooklyn connections notwithstanding.Thanks for posting pictures of Peleliu a
battlefield many of us wish we could visit,but probably won`t in this lifetime.I especially
like your using archived aerial photos of denuded ridges to locate possible cave sites now
62 years later.Good logistic thinking.Myself included,I think all of the board members enjoy
your taking us to these remote sites via your camera and your hard,risky work.Thanks

Charlie

·
Registered
196 Posts
Eric,
Great find, I too have found remains of photos digging thru caves on Okinawa and have also found a golden kite 7th class that still had the ribbon attached on Mabuni Hill. Its hanging framed in our Battle of Okinawa Museum. Thanks for sharing your stories. David.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
It's amazing this photo was able to survive so long. Was it in a case or something or just loose?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Very nice find!

Any idea what the patch is on their right-side chest?

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Yep, I think those are name tags. Unlike the IJA dogtags where there are only unit and inidivisual ID numbers, those cloth tags had the actual guys name written on it.
I'm not sure if these were worn into combat, but perhaps were worn when drills or other excercise etc. events were held.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts