Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collect the some cutaway weapons when I can find and afford them. This was a recent find and I thought someone might appreciate it. The engineer in me appreciates the thought that went into making the various cuts.

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Firstly, it looks like a Post- war Assembled rifle ( "large" trigger guard) and some of the barrel lettering also indicate a Post 1946 assembly, as does the crest.
Is it "Factory" (ZB) done, or is it Israeli, or is it "aftermarket" sectioning/ Is there a "special" serialing, or is the original serial still present?

Also, your labelling the photos as "Vz24" is not correct...the set-up is "Kar98k" Postwar Assembly.

Nice Piece, anyway.

Regards,
Doc AV

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Doc,

I believe the proper Czech nomenclature for this particular model is vz.98N "Model 98 Německá." Německá is the Czech word for German.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,769 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Firstly, it looks like a Post- war Assembled rifle ( "large" trigger guard)
Doc, I've seen other references to the large stamped "winter" trigger guard as being a postwar item, but I've owned an all matching DOU 45 since 1965 which has the large guard, and it also sports Nazi eagles and WAa480 proofs, prancing lions, circle Z, four digit serial "B" block. If it is in fact a post war item, I can only assume that it never had a chance to get into the hands of the Germans for whom it was obviously intended, or the post war theory is bogus.??????

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,769 Posts
Blackwater,

The Czechoslovak "prancing lion" firing proofs on the receiver and barrel indicate post war manufacture. It must have been one of the first to get a winter trigger guard but it looks like they ran out of regular stamped trigger guards early. It seems the regular stamped trigger guards must have been sub-contracted, otherwise they could have just made more.

Regards,
Bill

·
Silver Bullet member
3,068 Posts
A local guy had one just like this one if its not the same one..

I think the early post war CZ guns had the original stamped TG until they ran out as stated, then they switched to the large winter guard.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Blackwater,

The Czechoslovak "prancing lion" firing proofs on the receiver and barrel indicate post war manufacture. It must have been one of the first to get a winter trigger guard but it looks like they ran out of regular stamped trigger guards early. It seems the regular stamped trigger guards must have been sub-contracted, otherwise they could have just made more.

Regards,
Bill
Bill, after looking at the action again, it dawned on me that the info I gave wasn't 100% accurate. While the lion is evident on both barrel and action, the Nazi eagle is only found on the barrel, as are the waffenampts, the barrel man's initials and a small DOU. Perhaps they used a barrel which was already in stock and stamped for German use.
I have seen many examples which bore the eagle on the left side of the ring; this one does not. At any rate, it was a well spent $25.00.
Thanks to all for the good info. RT

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The Czechs were merely using up parts left from the manufacture of rifles for the Germans (reciever). The large TG (Czech only) was supposed to be a contract for Eypt. It gets cold in the desert at nite. I have no documentation for that however. At any rate that TG could have been put on there at any time by anyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.