Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a bnz 45 today and passed it up, vg+ bore but was 429!!!! no talking down on the price:( Bands are the welded type and cupped buttplate had a hole in the bottom side where it looked like something other than a screw held it on but the hole was empty. was electro pencilled match on the bolt. no mark on side of receiver but said mod 98 on top forward part of receiver. Most marks were weak on left side of barrel. it looked to have been rebarreled at some time as barrel number didnt match.

What do you think the rifle was actually worth? It had a hardwood stock

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nope not in my opinion. RC's are RC's and they are worth about as much as what morons are willing to pay for them. I personally wouldn't pay that much for an unmatched, refurbed RC.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Sounds like a matched rifle with a R/C bolt perhaps?
If so, you screwed up big time!
Walnut full kreigs stock is worth close to $300 by itself!
I would venture a bolt mis-matched version would be worth at least $600 to $800.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do i recognize a full kriegs stock?

it looked like a regular 98 stock but walnut with some tiger stripping, the bands were both welded though

the receiver may not have had a serial number on the side, just the barrel did and it was hard to make out i think from the russians cleaning it up. didnt see any swasticas just waffenampts

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
im hoping you passed on a rc. cause if its even bolt m/m? chas is right. very few walnut full kriegs. and who besides bnz had the full kriegs? so the chances of the russians doing it are slim. could be a rc 'period correct' put together by a collector. can you get photos?
that will put paid to it.
as to 'full kreigs' they are no take down lug in the stock, the hole in the buttplate is a take down hole. nothing goes there. and..... walnuts are slim, and a full kreigs walnut? i my self havent seen one. 400+ is steep TODAY. but a few years from now???

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Nope not in my opinion. RC's are RC's and they are worth about as much as what morons are willing to pay for them.
No need to be insulting...if they are not your cup of tea fine, but insulting folks who see value in them is serving no purpose, and just creates division, and hard feelings. Why don't you edit you post to be a little more civil.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Look like this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
No need to be insulting...if they are not your cup of tea fine, but insulting folks who see value in them is serving no purpose, and just creates division, and hard feelings. Why don't you edit you post to be a little more civil.
Sorry Bill I didn't mean to insult you, Actually I don't have a problem with RC's I own several, what I have a problem with is people thinking because they have a 98K it is automatically worth more than it is actually worth just because it is a 98K.
My comment was about people who will pay $500-700 for a $275 rifle... as P.T. Barnum was supposed to have said, "there's a sucker born every minute...." but maybe in your case .. if the shoe fits...

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
It IS pretty sweet, the only rifle I own that makes farb drool...
I can't wait to hear the "rest of the story" on the mis-match 45?
Even if it's an R/C, if it has the correct stock etc...it would be worth having.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i thought the stock might have been from another mauser, but your right it is a krieg stock, there was no bolt disc

should i go back and buy it?

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
If it's not an R/C, then YES!
If it is an R/C then yes...If it's worth it to you.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
im with chaz to a point, but ill pull back till i see a pic. can you get a 'mauser person' to do a hands on? thats the best way.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
$429 is a little steep, BUT is is a rare maker/year, so if you just want a shooter then it's probably not for you.
I like to take chances buying rifles and sometimes it results in all matched bring back rifles in darn near new condition and sometimes I lose money, no other way to put it.
I have bid on blurry pictured auctions and won big time and I have also got my ass handed to me.
If I waited to be SURE I doubt I would own ANY collectable stuff, but that's just me, your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Did it have the serial stamped in the butt of the stock on the left hand side? That is always a sure sign of a RC. How about a blued buttplate? Another good sign of a RC.

Might want to give Gunbroker a look over and check out some RCs, so you can see what a RC looks like and then go back.

If not a RC, I'd buy it hands down. :)

If it is a RC, then that's too much unless you just have to have it for the stock or the code. But that's up to you.

I passed on a RC that was a 1918 Berlin in a cupped walnut stock one time. Came back posted about it and wound up driving 6 hours round trip to go back and buy it. That one taught me to really think about what it is you're looking for when you go "shopping" out of town. :p

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
If the receiver says mod98 and BNZ45 AND it's a full kreigs walnut stock, I don't care if it an R/C, it IS a rare bird and very soon to be worth every penny, if not (very soon) much more.
If it's NOT R/C well then......run, don't walk...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looking at my notes, Empire Arms had two '45 bnz (1 from 2005, probably the other too) and Dennis priced them for $395. So $395 two years ago makes low $400s sound right. I just have issues paying over $400 for a RC, but then I use to have issues paying over $250 for a RC. :D

So $429 is probably a deal if you base it on EA prices.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,687 Posts
I wish I could add to this thread, but Bill did all I could ever wish to do here. Bill, you're my hero.

On the bnz, I hate to admit it but even an RC bnz45 with a walnut Kreigsmodell stock is probably worth that if the stock is nice and unsanded (even with the serial)....it's a sad sad world. Chasdev, you need to get rid of that bnz45, it's causing my keyboard to short out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts