Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Staying in chipley Fl. for a couple weeks attending a training class. I went for lunch today and sniffed out a pawn and gun shop.Nice place with reasonable prices,usual selection of arms for sale.Saw a m44,m38 and a 91/30 sitting on the shelf popped open the bolt and there were the screw heads,stock patched as well.Bore looked great. $119 I was unable to resist.
Now I`ve only had one other, it was an iszhevsk 1944 and both the screws and pins were visible inside the reciever,on this tula only the screws are visible.Did the Tula factory not drill all the way through for the pins?
Thanks for any info,
Bossman

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Found another EX, 1943 Tula

I don't think they did, but I'm sure the "experts" here will say for sure...;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Some do not and others do

It was talked about here before that the Tulas did not have the pins drilled completely through. The 2 I have do have the pins completely through. 1943 and 1944

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Nice find. Majority of the time the pin holes on Tulas were not drilled all the way through. However, with like most things, there are always exceptions when you do find the pin holes drilled all the way through. My 43 has all 4 holes visible.

Is it an Aztec import?

Be sure and check the tang date when you can. You can find something interesting from time to time.

My 43 Tula that I got from Aztec is in a 1941 Izhevsk receiver.

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
The 43 Tula ex-PU I have dosen't have the pin holes drilled through the receiver but has relief holes abt 1/64 of an inch drilled where the pins are located. I think it was to aid when installing the pins.

Regards
Art

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish it was from Aztec, but sadly it has a great big Century billboard across the receiver.
I re-snipered the izshevsk i previously owned but I think I`m going to leave this one as-is.
Maybe....

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
I would bet that to be 1944

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You'd lose ya money Vic....you already admitted it a 41 on old boards ;) :)

If you have anyway of viewing the old thread...

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=142668

It's clearly a 41 to me. Last digit is sharp at top and not a half struck ...you see how the 4 clearly goes down further before moving over to the right...The 1 is just like the 1 in 19. The "nose" stops at the exact same height before moving back up to join the body of the number.

I believe you said it was a 1941 Izhevsk barreled action that was sent to Tula (support the plant in tough times) where they finished the manufacture at which time the tang was remarked and Tula info placed on the shank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts