Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'day all ... just picked up this 1858 Tower 3-band 1853 Pattern Enfield here in Australia.

As can be seen in the limited pics, the stock is in exceptional condition, but I picked up the rifle for a bargain price on the basis that all the metal's rusty.

However, on closer inspection, the brass bits have the same dimpled black surface as the metal, and the rear sight raises without a problem and the hammer is smooth as silk.

There also appears to be very little pitting, with all the irregularities being raised.

Has anyone encountered this before ... have the metal bits been given some sort of coating? The only obvious rust I have seen is the ram rod, which is obviously pitted, and there's the odd bit of red to be found on the rifle.

Anyway here's the pics:

The rear sight hinges up no problem ... the surface looks far too uniform to be rust:

The brass trigger guard had a similar surface to the metal parts:

Can anyone decipher this tang marking? Note, once again the dimpled black coating:

The "WD" marking on the stock has been struck out with a sold out of service mark, and it looks like "1861" has also been stamped in to it:

Anyway, there it is ... this rifle has some of the best timber I have seen on a 3-bander of its era, and surely it would have suffered if the metal was allowed to rust.

Anyway, any feedback welcome ... I wouldn't mind getting this old girl making loud smoky noises again!

·
Registered
783 Posts
canvas cloth and turpentine...It will amaze you how it will lift rust. Just don't get over energetic until you get the top coat of rust off, and yes, it is surface rust. Probably stored in a humid attic.... I've seen more than one like that and have cleaned up a few just as bad. Take your time and it will shine like a coon dogs left knacker......
Use the REAL turpentine and not mineral spirits......

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dare I say it, I reckon the project's come good:

The bore's actually quite decent, and I reckon she'll be making loud smoky noises after a century of silence:

Sure, she ain't perfect:

But she's looking a lot better than she was:

It has been a really rewarding project, and I learnt a bit on a few levels:

Regards the tang marking, this rifle was definitely issued to a Soldier of the Queen - big C and small L is an abbreviation for The Cornwall Regiment, 32nd Regiment of Foot:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts