Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,a Type 44 has been one of those rifles I thoughjt I would never find or when I did could not afford.This morning at the local gunshow was walking the isles and there sitting in a rack was a real decent looking Type 44,picked it up started looking it over,ground mum,dust cover,sling,start looking at assembly numbers,wow,looks like all match including dustcover,pulled floorplate out and it does not match and blueing is worn more than rest of rifle,pull bolt and look at bore,shiney and sharp,muzzle good,wood looks unsanded with original finish and blueing is very good.
No price tag on it so ask the guy what he wants fully expecting for him to come back with something around 600.00 to 800.00,pleased when he said 475.00,did a little bartering and got it for 450.00 and no tax.
As far as I can tell everything looks original except floor plate,rifle looks to have good honest wear but not abused,pulled bolt part and assembly #'s match on all bolt parts.
Sling looks like it has been on rifle a long time but don't think it is correct for carbine,does appear to have 3 faint marks on back.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,190 Posts
Damn - you kicked butt on that! Very nice find with it's matching bolt & dust cover. The sling looks Japanese but is probably an equipment strap of somekind. In fact it looks much like the one pictured in MROJ.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
Price find of the week

Really nice carbine, great price. Matching first types are tough to find, with the dustcover too, they are almost unheard of.

·
Silver Bullet member
621 Posts
$450 is a very good price.

That’s a steal. Will you dismantle and clean it? My type 44 is missing the rear band. I am going to make one. Would you please trace the inner profile of your rear band and mail the paper to me? I would like to explain it further. Please turn on your e-mail or PM feature.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Excellent find! Nice carbine at a WONDERFUL price! I love finding stuff like that... we are all happy for you!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Augie,
Just curious, I saw someone leaving the Timonium MD show with a nice Type 44 yesterday. Was that you?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mawkie,that was me,left fairly early,I like to get in when the show first opens and cruise all the tables fast.Never expected to find this.
ATS76,does not look like I will be taking this one apart right now,I usually do take them apart to clean but this one is together tight and I don't want to do any damage,tried to take trigger guard out yesterday and it is firm in the stock,I once slightly chipped the wood around the trigger guard on a Krag once so now I am more carefulll. The screw slots on this rifle are in good shape,not buggered. I did turn on my e-mail,if I change my mind and take it apart I will contact you and help you out.
One other question,looks to me that the bolt is in the white,is this correct for a T44,I found 1 reference that stated they were.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,190 Posts
Yes, the bolt should be in the white. Only the later 2nd series Nagoya T-44s had blued bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts