Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this at a local shop while out on patrol. It has British markings and is labeled Enfield 1869. I havent found anything about this particular bayonet. I just want to learn a little bit about it. Thanks for any help.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,509 Posts
Probably a local made "tourist" bayonet. Need better photos to tell for sure.

Regards,
Bill

Need photos like these:
(click on photos to enlarge)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Welcome to the boards. That looks a lot like a 1907 Enfield bayonet with the grips replaced (they used nuts and bolts, not brass). Also the tip doesn't looke quite right; if the groove down the blade runs all the way to the end it was shortened. Can you give us the overall length?

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
I was thinking 1907 myself, but I don't know british bayonets. And back in 1869 weren't they still using socket bayonets?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
there were lots of bladed bayonets in 1869, have a look on my site under afghanistan (v large collection of there both real and commercial, or the UK pages and see if you can identify it

It actually looks more like a copy of the 1913/17 pattern bayonet due to the high muzzle ring and is very likely commercial as most of the real stuff was bought up in the first couple of years, I know i went through several hundred shipped back helping ID ersoc's etc. and picked up an Afghan marked LEbel form that plus most of my real Afghans it didn't take long for the fakes and copies to start turning up when they found out what people were prepared to pay for "junk"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It wasn't shortened. The blood groove doesn't run to the tip. All the markings look legit and match the markings on some of the enfield rifles I have at home but it looks like the date was added later. I'm sorry the pics suck but the internet out here isn't the best so I have to take small ones so it doesn't take 3 days to upload. Ill measure it today and post the overall length.

·
Registered
19,307 Posts
it looks full length, the brass riveted hilt is typical Afghani, as they seemed to have followed on the way they made the 1888's
Seen hundreds like it: go with Old Smithy on what that is !

Interesting ? Yes. Valuable...well, maybe as a momento.

You are obviously still down range. Be safe and bring back the only souvenirs
worth having : 10 fingers and 10 toes. Truly, there is nothing in Afghanistan
worth having

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
The blade fullers starts really in large distance from ricasso, same opinion like Bo,Carl and others, most real tourist decoration piece or a rework of older blade to a highbarell ring configuration. High barell ring is certainly a not correct for P1907 or P1888typical for Afganistan.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The bayonet has a coilspring operated crossbolt - no such thing in 1869!

Agree with Carl - a local copy for a 1913 or 1917 or more likely - a junk fake. "Enfield 1869" is pure nonsens

//Bo

Bo shame on you the French had them on the 1842 ;-)!! have to think about 1869 though, as the 42/59 went back to external spring.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Bo shame on you the French had them on the 1842 ;-)!! have to think about 1869 though, as the 42/59 went back to external spring.
Carl!

The French 1842 had a (external) leafspring.
The French 1842 Modifie - or 42/59 if you like - had an internal flat spring. The spring is visible from outside and so is the screw that keeps the spring in place.
I have been told, that if you take the pieces apart you will have a hell of a time to put them back together.

The Austrian made the 1873 with an external coilspring.
The internal coilspring - which is used on this bayonet - was patented by Weyersberg in 1882.

//Bo

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Yes, Afghan copy (or perhaps an original refitted with grips and a wonky date added). Either way, it will be a good memento of your days in Afghanistan. I have a few German stahlhelms I found in a shop in Kabul (Eggers) that I brought back.

Be safe, God bless and keep you all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts