Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in my favorite store Dunham's and low and behold they had a M38, it looked great. Nice stock, bluing looked good. It was I think a 43 or 44, I was in heaven till I stuck the bullet in the barrel and it had been counter bored. At $149 plus tax I thought it was too high, such a pity!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
When a counterbore is done correctly, i.e., deep enough and concentric with the bore, it can restore the accuracy of an old rifle to pretty much what it was when the gun was new. The counterbore just removes the rifling worn away at the muzzle by some squaadie getting too enthusiastic with his cleaning rod. However, some rifles that also have bad throat erosion remain inaccurate with certain ammo even after counterboring.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
If it was a 44 it was a deal.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
Some folks don't like a counterbored rifle/carbine, some don't mind. Given equal guns I would buy a noncounterbored Mosin-Nagant first, but it doesn't bother me much. I buy mainly to expand my WWII collection and have plenty of rifles/carbines that shoot well. Also as stated above a large percentage of the refurbed M38s and M44s are counterbored. I also learned not to write them off in the accuracy department just because the barrel is counterbored. The target below was shot with a Finn captured 1939 Tula 91/30 at 100yds using surplus ammo. The barrel is dark and counterbored about a half inch; and to think I almost sold this one off!

PAshutr3

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I would pay that much for a CB'd M38 in a correct stock...but hell, that's me and...it's only money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a M44 a few weeks back that had a great bore but the stock was beat up. This M38 was sweet, looked new. It's was so tempting, I might go back and look at it again. When it is CB doesn't it have a higher chance that the rest of the bore is badly worn? This was the first CB I had seen and I didn't have a light or I would have checked the bore.

·
Copper Bullet member
694 Posts
Most if not all are CB because there is damage to the crown from cleaning. I have one M38 with a CB and it shoots pretty good. That's not to say the one you are looking at has a good bore and will shoot ok. If it were me I would try and get them to lower the price... you never know. Check the stock and see if it's correct.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried getting her down in price, she said even the store manager could not lower set prices. I went back and looked it was a M44 stock, and the bore looked dark. That not saying if you ran a cleaning rod down it that it wouldn't shine, just too much money for me for what it was. Oh it was a 1943.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,419 Posts
The best policy is to hold out for just the right gun. It will come along eventually. I am incapable of following that advice and as a result my gun safe is overflowing and I'm usually broke when a good deal comes along.
Still, I'm not so sure $149 for a CB'd M38 in an M44 stock is all that bad. You could sell M38's all day long here on the Trader or over at Gunborker for that price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.