Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't bore you all with the details as to how (and where) I came about these, but I was lucky to stumble upon a few bayonets today. I have never seen an example of the middle one in person before.

The SVT-40 bayo has had the muzzle ring removed.

Scabbard Antique tool Dagger Blade Tool
Antique tool Scabbard Tool
Antique tool Broadaxe Dane axe Wood Axe
Wood Sink Metal
Scabbard Leather Shotgun

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
Nice finds!!...what's the story behind the m91 lock-ring bayonet on the bottom?...looks like a battlefield "pickup"...

·
Gold Bullet member
2,133 Posts
The long knife blade bayo looks like it for an SVT38. The short one for an SVT40 though someone has lopped off the muzzle ring.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I like is that these appear to have never been refurbished. I'm curious as to the ding in the SVT-38 scabbard. It looks like it could have (maybe) been struck by the base of a bullet (i.e. a tumbling round deflected off the ground?), but that's speculation purely on my part.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hello,

You were indeed lucky to stumble upon these bayonets, especially the SVT-38. I have one that was gifted to me, but the muzzle ring is cut off. I would like to ask if you could provide for me some measurements of the cross guard: Height, outside diameter of the ring, and width of the "skinniest" section under the muzzle ring.

Thank you,

Rusnak
Dagger Scabbard Sword Blade Tool
Hunting knife Scabbard Dagger Knife Wood

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rusnak, I'm guessing you need measurements from a micrometer. I don't have any tools and it might be a while before I can get to it. But I would be glad to help out...

I thought you all might appreciate the fact that these came out of flea market in downtown Tbilisi, in the Republic of Georgia.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Rusnak, this is the best I can offer for now. In each photo I tried to line up one edge of the guard with an even factor of 10, with the camera positioned to capture the measurement at the other end. So for the overall length of the cross guard, the left side is aligned with 20 inches, even though it doesn't look like it, so that the camera can show where it falls on the scale. Careful measurement shows an overall length of 2 & 1/4" (to include the slight rounding of the outside surface of the crossguard).

The other photos align one edge on the 10-inch mark to show ring width, length from the edge of the blade to tip of ring, width at the waist of the ring extension, and overall shape of the ring extension.

The ring-width photo is not very good, but careful examination with the eye and tape measure put it at 3/4" outside diameter exactly.

From the edge of the blade to the tip of the ring measures 15/16" precisely.

The narrowest part of the waist falls midway between 5/16 and 3/8, so about 11/32".

I hope this helps.

Wood Finger Wood stain Metal
Finger Wood
Ruler Finger Wood Wire
Finger Ruler Measuring instrument
Latch Wood Door handle Hardwood

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.