Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my son to the annual Armed Forces Day celebration at the local fairgrounds today and ended up with WWII era P38, among other goodies!

I'm not an expert on these, but it's a matching numbers pistol and in pretty good (original?) condition. The right side of the slide has some pitting, but overall it's in pretty good shape with a good bore.

Is the locking block supposed to be blued or in the white on this pistol? Also, are the grips correct for late January production in 1944?

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
looks like a shooter grade (because of the pits) non RC p38. Looks like someone took steel wool and/or equivalent to the slide. The grips looks correct if memory serves me.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,339 Posts
I saw that J&G was selling re-furbed WWII P38s (import marked) for $580, so I'm guessing that my new cyq is worth around $650 or so?
In that range, yes. Locking block should be in the white as far as i know - don't think any wartime P.38s blued the locking blocks.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
I saw that J&G was selling re-furbed WWII P38s (import marked) for $580, so I'm guessing that my new cyq is worth around $650 or so?
Yes i would agree with that; especially if you find the right buyer who was in the market for a "ive been there" p38 for shooting rather than the re-dipped import marked/forced marked RCs. If not.. it may be difficult to get 650 out of it due to its overall exterior condition. Like i said.. it all depends on the market; and what folks are after.

As for the locking blocks.. i agree with cylde i have never heard of a blued block from wartime P38 production. Both of my non-rcs are in the white.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.