Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well, once again hit the local pawn & gun, and they have two rifles I'd like to get opinions on and which, if any I should try to get.
The first one is a 42 code dated '38. Everything about the bolt matches the receiver, as well as the floor plate and other small parts. The only thing not matching are the two front bands. Very good bore, comes with what appears to be an org. sling in the propper pattern. The stock is well marked with waffenampts, and a faint L. Ser # is 27xx M block. Flat buttplate, somewhat larger than the stock, shich hasn't been sanded. Asking $400 or so.
The next one is a BNZ 44, all matching except the two bands. Org. sling also. This one has a 7.62 stamped barrel, but it's very small, thin and on the left side. Lots of lathe marks present from machining, and it's stamped 3-58 just below the rear sight, with a r u lower and to the right of that. Nice stock with cupped buttplate. They'd like $300 for this one.

While I'm not sure that the stocks are org. to the rifles, the rifles themselves look as they should, fonts etc are all the same under close inspection. I know it's hard to say without pics, but what would you guys suggest?

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Hard to say on the details provided...either one might be a good deal or a dog...mismatched bands almost always indicate a restored sporter, and thus a mismatched stock. On the bnz do you mean 7.92 or 7.62 marked barrel? Makes a big difference maybe....and easy to confuse.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say on the details provided...either one might be a good deal or a dog...mismatched bands almost always indicate a restored sporter, and thus a mismatched stock. On the bnz do you mean 7.92 or 7.62 marked barrel? Makes a big difference maybe....and easy to confuse.
No, it's 7.62... the shop even tried chambering the 8mm and it wouldn't go, but the .308 would. This couldn't be a norwegian could it?

·
Registered
633 Posts
That BNZ is likely an Israeli, and just as likely been to So America to languish in high humidity. If there is a replacement stock on it, it may very well be a salt cured stock. The worst burning I have taken on milsurps came as a resultant of a purchase of an IDF K98. The ones that were supposed to be "like new", that came in about five or six years ago.

I had to beat the action out of the stock. The metal had grown into the wood. This is not a joke. I found pitting so deep and pervasive to all of the wood/metal contact areas that I don't dare to shoot or sell the rifle. There are eighths inch deep pits all over under the wood line. The top looks "OK".

If you decide to deal on it, my advice is - take it apart.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What WaA's does the stock have on it other then the L? For a 1938 Orberndorf it should be WaA63.
IIRC, that is whats on the stock, the L, or what looks it, is just below the takedown disk, with two stamps below that.

Both bolts are matching.

Fortunatly, the BNZ is in very nice condition, with a very good, almost excellent bore. There is no other 7.62 stamps anywhere on the rifle, which made me wonder....

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
here's two pics.
the one with the 7.62 is a Israeli marked receiver. cant miss it
the second is a gunsmiths mark required by law to mark the barrel when chambered into another caliber.
some one could have rebarreled it. just be careful with it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here's two pics.
the one with the 7.62 is a Israeli marked receiver. cant miss it
the second is a gunsmiths mark required by law to mark the barrel when chambered into another caliber.
some one could have rebarreled it. just be careful with it.
Thanks, I was sure it wasn't israeli, but didn't know if other armies might have marked a conversion differently I apperciate all the info guys!

One other question, does it devalue a rifle significantly if it is a sporter restore? Unless I can get the price down, It seems like I should pass on these two, slings and "mostly matching" or not....

·
Registered
644 Posts
The Price Is Fair

An all matching example of the 42 1938 would go for a grand so the price you are paying is fair. As for the bnz 44 in 7.62 that price is also fair even if it was an Israeli in that condition most beat to death 7.62 IDF K98k rifles cost fifty bucks less . I would buy both at those prices.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,811 Posts
Whats the bore condition on both?
I would pass on the 42 unless they would go down another $50 or pay the taxes.
I would pass on the BNZ if it is isreali.

If you dont get the 42 can I please get the gunshops contact info?
Thanks

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,811 Posts
An all matching example of the 42 1938 would go for a grand so the price you are paying is fair. As for the bnz 44 in 7.62 that price is also fair even if it was an Israeli in that condition most beat to death 7.62 IDF K98k rifles cost fifty bucks less . I would buy both at those prices.
Its not an "all matching example".

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whats the bore condition on both?
I would pass on the 42 unless they would go down another $50 or pay the taxes.
I would pass on the BNZ if it is isreali.

If you dont get the 42 can I please get the gunshops contact info?
Thanks
the bore on the 42 code is good, might clean up to very good. on the 7.62 it's almost excellent.

I'll stop by the shop tomorrow, and check them out again if they are still there. I can't really afford them, that's why i'm hemming and hawing so much. If I pass on them i'll send whoever is interested the contact info.
They also have a peruvian vz32 contract in what would appear to be a 3 piece 33/40 stock, org k98 sling on it. It's a frankenmauser, with a sporter front sight and cocking piece, bolt body is correct tho.

·
fuzzy little man peach
8,728 Posts
Is the stock on the '38 Orberndorf walnut, or laminate? In all probability it would be walnut. I was told laminate was a possibility, but I am not sure how common it was.

Are the bands milled? I know you said they aren't original, but a milled H band would be appropriate up front, and a milled rear band.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.