Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a very nice Beaumont-Vitali from a fellow forum member and would like to shoot it, of course. While I will buy formed cases from Buffalo Arms if necessary, I would not mind saving a few $ & make them myself. Grafs is out of stock on the Jamison brass & I hear it might be a while until they have it again.

I cast the chamber & slugged the bore just now & it has a .457 bore. I put a 45-70 case on the bolt head & it looks like the extractor would pull it from the chamber after fire forming...

So is blowing out 45-70 cases a viable way to proceed here? SW

·
Administrator
9,391 Posts
Beaumont cases.

The 45/70 case is WAY-WAY undersized for a Beaumont case...even the Rim is some 0,060 undersized for it.

A Beaumont case runs about .660 rim, and some .585 head. ( 45/70 is .600 rim and .505 head.)

Even a .348 Win case (or .50/70) needs a head sleeve, and both rims will still be undersized, to a greater or lesser extent ( .348 Rim is .600, body is .545)

Unless you are lucky enough to have a .500 NE case (or cases-- these aren't cheap either),
direct forming is out of the question.

Best thing is Nonte's Sleeving suggestion...Turn a proper Head and Rim sleeve, of the correct rim and head dimensions for the Beaumont, and fit it for a .45/70 case, which has had its rim bevelled in \front to an angle, so that on fire=forming, the sleeve is locked in place. (Nonte: Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions, 1967, Stackpole Books)

The other suggestion is to try CBC Magtech 32 Gauge brass Shotshells, and then carefully size and trim to make a lightweight case to suit.

Good luck,
Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have also been looking for a cartridge case to use to form the Beaumont. I bought some Magtech 32 brass shot shells from Grafs. They use a weird size of Berdan primer and appear to be a balloon head rather than a solid head. If these could be had with a standard shotgun or boxer primer they would work.
Another candidate would be 50-90 Sharps made by Starline. These have a base of .565 and a rim of .663. I bought some of these from Midway a while back. I haven't figured out the forming process yet without having to spend many$$$$ on a set of commercial dies.
Stray

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm... thanks for that, DocAv. I appears I will have to choke up the $58 + per 20 for formed brass from Buffalo Arms. And try to get by using 45-70 dies to neck size, seat and crimp.

The formed brass will be a little less expensive that the $150 for dedicated dies. SW

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Beaumont brass

I use 50-90 Sharps made by Starline and form in my Beaumont dies and trim to length. Works perfectly. Chambers and extracts very well and no evidence of gas blow by using either black powder or a reduced load of smokeless. Use 45-70 Trap door loading data. I use 300 grain .457 bullets from GAD Custom Cartridges. The casting is a little iffy but I get good 100 yard accuracy results. Contact me at; [email protected] for more info/help. Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts