Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,278 Posts
Typo: February 1944 not 1945, since Finland sued for peace with the USSR in September 1944. Arms deliveries from Germany would have had to come before then, likely May June 1944 not "in late 1944."

The Germans had codes for all captured weapons, including Russian and Soviet models.
It's likely that the document merely memorialized the event ex post facto. By that late in the war, the Germans had been ushered out of Finland by the Finns, despite being co-belligerants and enjoying a type of 'Waffenbruderschaft' in fighting the Sovs together.

Speaking of the experience in being 'brothers in arms,' here's a pic of an acidly worded sign left in the wake of the German withdrawal from Finland to Norway following Finnish agreement to the terms of the cease fire with the USSR:

Pat

Attachments

9,278 Posts
as a thanks for nothing weapons brotherhood?

Probably translates more clearly to "thanks for nothing brothers in arms" (my speculation)
The latter, I think. They had fought together for years and had exchanged TTPs and friendship, and had parted on bad terms. That's a summary, but it covers it.
Pat

9,278 Posts
Thanks Pat. I'd never seen that photo. I sent the link to a German friend of mine for the exact translation as he is a history buff too. Should make for an interesting discussion.
The book 'Black Edelweiss' has some interesting anecdotes about the cross-polination of tactics between the Finnish Army and their 6th SS comrades, and even mentions the adoption of things like Puuko knives, et al.
Pat

9,278 Posts
Although a historically minor point, this highlights the fact that the shipment in question of 91/30s that were subsequently 'SA' marked never saw active service with Finland in WWII. Some had speculated that these arrived in time to be sorted, processed, rebuilt and redeployed in Finnish service against the USSR in 1944. It's probably more realistic to assume the first three steps listed above, followed by placement in inventory until importation to the US decades later.
Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.